• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would the rspca say this?

Hugbut

Mama Doe
I reported someones rabbits to the RSPCA because they were keeping grown rabbits in 3ft guinea pig cages, with no access to a run what so ever, plus they were breeding them, keeping & keeping all the babies in the same cage.
Anyway, it's got back to me that the RSPCA visited & told the owners that as long as the buns were in cages & had food, they were ok.I don't have much experience with the RSPCA but it doesn't sound right to me...surely? :censored:
Anyone know if this sounds like something they'd say or if the person who got reported could be fibbing about what they said?

It does seem a bit odd - when I got my two med sized bunnies from them they said that the cage had to be a min 6ft by 2ft by 2ft and they had to be able to stand up on their back legs (which it was and they can). they said they have to be able to do a minium of 3 hops! :D What their rights are to intervene in existing pet situations I dont know

Last edited:
I've been reading about some rabbits on Rabbit Rehome in the West Midlands, their story has been on the forum too. The parent bunnies have had at least three litters and the RSPCA took all the young ones off them - the parents and 3 young ones were sharing an 4ft hutch and some of the 6mth old bunnies were sharing a rat cage! (not sure how big but TOO small).

Most of the does removed have had litters since, some at only about 3 months old:cry:. I'd be surprised if the RSPCA doesn't take action with the one you've reported because it gets out of hand very quickly. It's obvious their basic needs are not being met

I guess it comes down to the officier as well and their intereptation of the conditions. I don't understand it but just trying to think why they would say things were fine.

Unfortunately that may be the case as current animal welfare legislation does not specify hutch size :( so the RSPCA's hands are often tied in situations like this if the rabbits are well fed with shelter and not ill.

I would ring again and say you are still concerned.

I think it does depend on the Inspector. The one that took the rabbits from the situation mentioned before is great, but they're not all so pro-active.

Well cant speak for the RSPCA but the SSPCA did exactly the same thing when i reported a large bun in a tiny hutch who was never let out. Unfortunately the inspector told me she thought it was quite a big hutch :shock:

I have also reported my neighbours rabbit who lives in an old chicken run, on mud with grass all around him. He has the base of a nero 2 cage in there, never seen him with hay, hes not castrated and keeps managing to escape and come a wind up my rabbits. Dont know how he gets in my garden cos mine cant get out!!! I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to catch him and put him back.

The RSPCA came and checked on him and told me that his housing was adequte. I'm sorry but I totally disagree, it's filthy, it must be torture for him seeing all that grass but not able to eat it, and if he keeps escaping it's not secure. Adequate my foot!

I have also reported my neighbours rabbit who lives in an old chicken run, on mud with grass all around him. He has the base of a nero 2 cage in there, never seen him with hay, hes not castrated and keeps managing to escape and come a wind up my rabbits. Dont know how he gets in my garden cos mine cant get out!!! I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to catch him and put him back.

The RSPCA came and checked on him and told me that his housing was adequte. I'm sorry but I totally disagree, it's filthy, it must be torture for him seeing all that grass but not able to eat it, and if he keeps escaping it's not secure. Adequate my foot!

If he can get in, your bun can get out.

I've only recently had anything to do with the RSPCA. I don't agree with everything that goes on with them, but it depends on what area you are in, & often their hands are tied. I think the good outweighs the bad.

Back