PDA

View Full Version : Omg babies again!!!

Lillian
24-06-2008, 01:23 PM
This morning my mum discovered that Winne AND Roo have had babies! 5 each, Roo's are all pink and Winnies are black! I may have a home for a couple already, but i don't know about the rest. My parents are annoyed and say ALL of them must go :( I know i'll get attached to them, i always do.
I can't believe my Hazel is a daddy :shock:

cherylwares
24-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Perhaps you should get your buns neutered?

Angie65
24-06-2008, 01:25 PM
I would do some serious neutering & separating of the males from the females.

Rescues are full to bursting already:cry:

Lillian
24-06-2008, 01:26 PM
We had all our previous buns neutered, and Hattie is spayed. But now the vets prices are getting so bloody high :(

Crystal butterfly
24-06-2008, 01:27 PM
id watch out for genetic problems hun with Hazel being roo and winnies dad aswell theres obviously a higher risk of dental problems etc. with these new borns. i would probably save up and get all your boys neutered to prevent this from happening again.

Angie65
24-06-2008, 01:31 PM
We had all our previous buns neutered, and Hattie is spayed. But now the vets prices are getting so bloody high :(

Well, adding more buns isn't gonna help much. My free ad litter set me back a far amount getting them neutered/spayed or driving them to the Rescues kind enough to take them. Kendra also needed an op at 7 weeks old

XMissySJx
24-06-2008, 01:32 PM
This morning my mum discovered that Winne AND Roo have had babies! 5 each, Roo's are all pink and Winnies are black! I may have a home for a couple already, but i don't know about the rest. My parents are annoyed and say ALL of them must go :( I know i'll get attached to them, i always do.

if you cant afford to get them neutured, then surely yuw ould keep them apart? :?

Hugbut
24-06-2008, 01:33 PM

Without meaning to sound like i'm lecturing, but imo if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet.

Lillian
24-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, adding more buns isn't gonna help much. My free ad litter set me back a far amount getting them neutered/spayed or driving them to the Rescues kind enough to take them. Kendra also needed an op at 7 weeks old

This wasn't on purpose though, we keep our girls and boys in different sheds, but hazel dug out of his run one day last month :(

Angie65
24-06-2008, 01:35 PM
This wasn't on purpose though, we keep our girls and boys in different sheds, but hazel dug out of his run one day last month :(

Buns dig unfortunately. In that situation it might have been wise to get your 2 girlies spayed immediately.

Also, if a bun can dig out, a fox can dig in.

applebed
24-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey, sorry this has happened, it's a large lesson in the responsibility of pet ownership it seems :(.

It really would be wise to save up to get the girls spayed anyway, because the likelihood of them getting uterine cancer is so high that you'll be saving yourself future vet bills.

biscuitblossom
24-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Without meaning to sound like i'm lecturing, but imo if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet.

I agree,neutering should be taken into account as an inevitable cost when you get the rabbits in the first place.

Crystal butterfly
24-06-2008, 01:39 PM
i know this may sound selfish but when rehoming the babies why dont you charge for a small fee of 10 that should total up to 100 and will get 2 of your boys neutered to avoid future pregnancies.

areia
24-06-2008, 02:20 PM
i can only afford to keep 2 bunnies max thats why i foster, so i can give lots of love before handing them over to good homes,
lesson learnt i think im sure you feel bad at whats happened, would be worth considering the advise of selling your buns for a small fee so you can pay for the neutering just dont use it to make other preggers so you can sell to pay for more fees though, we may be sounding harsh but for those who are struggleing to find homes for unwanted bunnies you an understand some view points:?good luck though im sure you will work it out, we are still all here to give out advise when needed though :)

XMissySJx
24-06-2008, 03:45 PM
one of my boys, peanut, did dig out of his run last year and got in with Jelly, so i understand mistakes can happen. I think because he was unneutured and he could see jelly, he just wanted to get to her. However, after this happened he was neutured within a week, so i would recommend you do this to avoid it again, because once is a mistake, but if it happened twice then it isnt, because you would be aware of what would happen.

I agree with what louise has said actually, too many people take baby buns when they 'free to a good home' and while i dont think you will make much money considering you are going to need more supplies for these babies, i think if you say 10 for each bunny anything you do make should be spent on your existing bunnies to prevent this again.

also please homecheck for the babies x

Lucy
24-06-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm lost for words... for once :lol: Seriously though, it's not on is it.

minirex
24-06-2008, 05:40 PM

There is a vet in Goodmays (sp) that will neuter the boys for 15 and the girls for 30. :)

Lillian
24-06-2008, 06:51 PM
There is a vet in Goodmays (sp) that will neuter the boys for 15 and the girls for 30. :)

Not that i know of but i will look into that. And i think what some of you said about charging a small fee and putting the money towards neutering/spaying is a great idea! My parents want to get rid of some of my adults buns too now, apparently we shouldnt have kept them anyway :( but we did try rehoming them when they were babies and didnt really get any interest, and we got so attached to them. I'd be heartbroken if the adults go to

XMissySJx
24-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Not that i know of but i will look into that. And i think what some of you said about charging a small fee and putting the money towards neutering/spaying is a great idea! My parents want to get rid of some of my adults buns too now, apparently we shouldnt have kept them anyway :( but we did try rehoming them when they were babies and didnt really get any interest, and we got so attached to them. I'd be heartbroken if the adults go to

as long as you show you can be responsible it shouldnt come to that, start looking for good homes early on. i dont know howold you are, but do you/could you get a part time job to help raise the cash?

minirex
24-06-2008, 06:58 PM

The vets is called Animal ark, there is a thread about it on here somewhere.

http://www.animalarkvets.co.uk/opening%20hours.html

sally1974
24-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I hope you manage to work something out.
Sallyx

Crystal butterfly
25-06-2008, 11:49 AM
i took alot of interest in Roo when he was a babe hun :wave: aslong as yous dont rehome some of the adults then keep some of the babies then id say maybe its the best thing if money is problem at the moment as emergancies happen unexpectedly and its really heart breaking watching a poor pet that you love die suffering :( (i know from exprerience from my Guinea Pig Roo :cry:)

sally1974
26-06-2008, 07:43 AM
any news on the babies Lillian?:wave::wave:
Sallyx

WalnutEarth626
26-06-2008, 10:03 AM
id watch out for genetic problems hun with Hazel being roo and winnies dad aswell theres obviously a higher risk of dental problems etc. with these new borns. i would probably save up and get all your boys neutered to prevent this from happening again.

Sorry but thats absolute rubbish :roll:

Breeders Line breed all the time - as long as you know your line then it sets in the good traits. Alot of people mate Buck A to Doe 1 and keep Doe 2, then mate Doe 2 to Buck A, keep a doe to mate to Buck A etc etc....... Its a known and widely used system of breeding.

Assuming that Lillian doesn't know the history of her buns then there is a chance of dental issues - but no more than if she had mated them to an unrelated bun. Infact you are more likely to get problems for using an outcross because the lines may not 'gel'.

charlie82
26-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Breeders Line breed all the time - as long as you know your line then it sets in the good traits. Alot of people mate Buck A to Doe 1 and keep Doe 2, then mate Doe 2 to Buck A, keep a doe to mate to Buck A etc etc....... Its a known and widely used system of breeding.

Assuming that Lillian doesn't know the history of her buns then there is a chance of dental issues - but no more than if she had mated them to an unrelated bun. Infact you are more likely to get problems for using an outcross because the lines may not 'gel'.

It's not rubbish if as you say you don't know the lineage of a rabbit....how many people other than breeders actually know where there bunnies come from? Not many.....:?

Statistics of bunnies with dental issues would show this..... it's generally more do with with congenital problems as opposed to incorrect diet.

abbymarysmokey
26-06-2008, 05:47 PM

I have to agree with Crystal Butterfly and charlie82 on this one. I'm presuming that the owner doesn't know the lineage of her buns. It's basic genetics that if you mate 2 related animals (or people) you have more chance of health problems due to the possibilty that recessive or defective genes are being carried by both parents...look at the incidence of haemophilia in the royal family caused by inbreeding :shock:

Indiechic
26-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Im sorry and i don't mean to sound offensive, but didn't you have an 'accident' last time?

Crystal butterfly
26-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Walnut earth is right insome respects about breeding mother to son, dad to daughter but it can only really be done confidently with 2 rabbits which you know complete history of good genetics etc. i was told that from a breeder that its ok to breed mother to son, dad to daughter aslong as you arent closing in the genetics to know this you will need to know the rabbits history of at least 4 generations or something like that :? but as far as im aware the genetic history is unknown of the father so he could have been the result of a brother sister mating for all we know which means him mating with his daughters could be closing in the genetics even more which could mean some deformaties in health or what ever. i dont understand it all myself just what ive picked up from breeders off other forums :? infact what ive said there could be all wrong it was just my understanding from other breeders thats all.

but i do hope for the babies sake that the dads genetics are all good.

kelly-joy
27-06-2008, 08:37 AM
I think that some of you are being totaly unfair on here this person has openly said they have made a mistake everybody makes a mistake.
Also the comment on you shouldn't have pets in you can't afford the vet bills I think that a totaly out of order there are alot of people that would have been able to afford to pay for there pets last year but are finding it hard this year because of raising costs which I might add is putting more pressure on rescues who take this pets on. I am lucky that my vet let me pay bit by bit so if I get a very high bill it doesn't make me completly broke.
I am with a new vet now so don't know what they charge but my last vet charged me 120 each to have my boys done so yes I can see people finding it hard to pay that sort of money.
Also just because you don't have loads of money it doesn't mean you can't look after your pets.
I might add that I have seen so many people with loads of money buying ped cats because they can and then as soon as they have left kitten stage put them in rescues and then go buy another kitten.
So please if you can't help or say somethomg nice don't say anything at all.

biscuitblossom
27-06-2008, 08:40 AM
I think that some of you are being totaly unfair on here this person has openly said they have made a mistake everybody makes a mistake.
Also the comment on you shouldn't have pets in you can't afford the vet bills I think that a totaly out of order there are alot of people that would have been able to afford to pay for there pets last year but are finding it hard this year because of raising costs which I might add is putting more pressure on rescues who take this pets on. I am lucky that my vet let me pay bit by bit so if I get a very high bill it doesn't make me completly broke.
I am with a new vet now so don't know what they charge but my last vet charged me 120 each to have my boys done so yes I can see people finding it hard to pay that sort of money.
Also just because you don't have loads of money it doesn't mean you can't look after your pets.
I might add that I have seen so many people with loads of money buying ped cats because they can and then as soon as they have left kitten stage put them in rescues and then go buy another kitten.

120 per boy to be done is very high....my vet charges 42.65!!

Lucy
27-06-2008, 08:45 AM
It's not a matter of not being nice, it's a matter of being realistic. Money is one of the major factors in keeping a pet and is overlooked by some people with the 'it'll be alright' kind of attitude. Having a pet is not a right you have, which some people seem to think it is. If you can't afford it or be responsible for a pet, don't have a pet in the first place.

If someone can't keep unneutered rabbits apart and keeps having babies, to the point where parents (lets not forget this isn't someone in their OWN property) are saying they have to be rehomed, then there is definitely an issue which people are right to address.

Stator
27-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Inbreeding is never a good idea.

Even if you know the complete medical history of your rabbits going back 10 generations you can't know what recessive genes exist in their DNA.

When you have a defective but recessive gene, it only shows up when the bearer received the gene from BOTH the mother and the father. If the mother and father are related the chances of this increase hugely. If you inbreed, defects will start showing up that you never knew existed.

Crystal butterfly
27-06-2008, 09:39 AM
obviously theres going to be diffrent veiws on having animals but me personally feel pets need more then just love ifyou struggle with money buy a pet say 'everything will be fine' a week later that pet is in obvious pain really ill its 4am what do you do??? if your struggling with money a 100 emergancy vet appointment + extra moneyfor treatment which can easily turn into a couple of hundred so if you cant afford that kind of vet bill then what happens to that pet at 4am??? it gets left and you break your heart watching that pet suffer, dying because you cant make it better because the money just isnt there.

i am not saying that those with little income cant have pets (i to have little income) because its easy to put money away every week for vet bills (i do this) etc. but alot of people dont think about doing this and take things as they come and just find themselves in a situation they cant get out of.

believe me if love was everything in owning a pet then id have loads.

and i just want to add there is no way im having ago at Lillian for these babies there here now shouting and winging at her wont turn back time i just think people get a little fustrated at times which is understandable i suppose when theres people here who are constantly helping neglected rabbits etc. so you do have to try and see it from their point of veiw aswell.

i personally dont believe in accidents but thats only because ive been on so many forums and to be honest with ya sometimes were a little to trusting anyone can say anything on a forum, when Crystal had her babies 2 1/2 years ago i told everyone it was an 'accident' yeah they all believed me it was great i got to enjoy the babies without people winging and shouting at me but in reality i delibratly mated them and lied to avoid abuse. i am deffinatly not accusing Lillian of anything im just open minded im not saying it wasnt an accident but im not saying it was either.

Indiechic
27-06-2008, 10:00 AM

I don't think people are being unfriendly... we are being honest. Not everything is perfect unfortunatly and this is not the first of the OP's 'Accidents'. I respect that she has taken time to seek advice, and respect that perhaps not everyone has bundles of money.

But money is required to give the standard of care that any animal requires. Who is going to pay if one requires emergency vet treatment? When we lost lilly, we had a 100 emergency bill... which would have been substantially more had she survived the night..

It really frustrates me that people say you don't need money to look after a pet...

It is expensive keeping an animal. and money is necessary.

Yes, its true some vets let you do a bit by bit, but ALOT don't. My vet will let you settle up at the end of each month, in full.

sorry to go on, but the point of people giving this advice is to save more animals ending up in already full to busting rescues.. when if they were neutered in the first place, these little accidents wouldn't keep happening.

ambers mummy
27-06-2008, 10:01 AM
how are the babys are they doing ok

Lillian
27-06-2008, 06:42 PM
how are the babys are they doing ok

One died yesterday :(
But the others all seem healthy and well cared for.
Once again people are complaining about me having rabbits because of money, you guys don't know me or my family or my animals so you can't judge me. Many people on here at some point have probably bought bunnies from shops and rescues that got them from worse places. The reason we don't have loads of money for these buns is because we were only meant to have 3 buns Greg (r.i.p), hazel and hattie. The petshop sold hattie as a 16 week old MALE. We had the money get them all neutered, then Hattie had 5 babies (which is the petshops fault, nothing to do with us!) then Greg got dental problems and the money for his and hazels neutering had to be spent on several operations for greg, and hattie had to be spayed and have a tumor removed. Then we had all these babies, which are now nearly a year old. My dad has been off work for awhile because he is really ill, so we are low on money. We ALWAYS have money for emergencys, and even if we didn't we would borrow off family. I'm getting a job for the summer holidays to pay for hazels neutering, and hopefully with alittle help bugs and violets too.

I have a home for 2 or 3 babies already, so don't have a go at me saying things like its because of people like me that rescues are full up because 1 it was an accident and 2 when the buns have to be rehomed they go to close friends and family!

Winnies babies (ones missing from the pic because it had gotten lost but its back safe now)
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p78/Madelana/babies/DSCF0005.jpg

Roo's babies
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p78/Madelana/babies/DSCF0006.jpg

kelly-joy
27-06-2008, 07:36 PM
:love::love::love:Aww cute babies hope you can find good homes for the others too:D

Stator
27-06-2008, 08:13 PM
They are darlings :)

areia
27-06-2008, 08:34 PM
120 per boy to be done is very high....my vet charges 42.65!!
same here my god find a more symapthetic vet, thats not in it more for the money than the welfair for the animal( im not saying that vets are dont care i just think somtimes its unjustified the fees they charge just like dentist fees i paid 320 just for one blimin tooth for me:evil:), im going to pay around 45 pounds to have biggles done next week

kelly-joy
27-06-2008, 09:04 PM
I have changed my vets now. I can't belive the other vet charged me that to have my boys done I wonder what 2 females would cost. Well I tell in a month or two when my two girlys are old enough to be spade how much this new vet chargers me.

raine
27-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Which vet do you use in Oxford?

HannahBee
27-06-2008, 10:22 PM
One died yesterday :(
But the others all seem healthy and well cared for.
Once again people are complaining about me having rabbits because of money, you guys don't know me or my family or my animals so you can't judge me. Many people on here at some point have probably bought bunnies from shops and rescues that got them from worse places. The reason we don't have loads of money for these buns is because we were only meant to have 3 buns Greg (r.i.p), hazel and hattie. The petshop sold hattie as a 16 week old MALE. We had the money get them all neutered, then Hattie had 5 babies (which is the petshops fault, nothing to do with us!) then Greg got dental problems and the money for his and hazels neutering had to be spent on several operations for greg, and hattie had to be spayed and have a tumor removed. Then we had all these babies, which are now nearly a year old. My dad has been off work for awhile because he is really ill, so we are low on money. We ALWAYS have money for emergencys, and even if we didn't we would borrow off family. I'm getting a job for the summer holidays to pay for hazels neutering, and hopefully with alittle help bugs and violets too.

I have a home for 2 or 3 babies already, so don't have a go at me saying things like its because of people like me that rescues are full up because 1 it was an accident and 2 when the buns have to be rehomed they go to close friends and family!

Winnies babies (ones missing from the pic because it had gotten lost but its back safe now)
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p78/Madelana/babies/DSCF0005.jpg

Roo's babies
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p78/Madelana/babies/DSCF0006.jpg

Aww what lovely bunnies!! I love baby buns

Well done to you.. In my opinion you seem to know what you are doing and will do right by these lovely rabbits

Hope you get to keep the adults & find good homes to the bubs! :)

xx

Lucy
28-06-2008, 08:22 AM

Does that sounds like someone who knows what they are doing to you HannahBee? I must be doing something wrong then if that is considered knowing what you are doing.

charlie82
28-06-2008, 09:18 AM
I agree with Lucy....

As it is they are here now though, so first job is to sort out neutering male bunny which I hope OP is going to do now.

HannahBee
28-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Does that sounds like someone who knows what they are doing to you HannahBee? I must be doing something wrong then if that is considered knowing what you are doing.

No I agree that is a mistake... like she said it was.

When I said she knows what she is doing - I mean she has recognised that her two rabbits having babies was a mistake & not the best thing that could've happened BUT she is dealing with it and looking after them and trying to find them good homes shows that she does have some idea of what has to be done.

Thats all :roll: it was my opinion anyway!

Lucy
28-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Oh I see, I thought she realised that the first time it happened.

HannahBee
28-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Oh I see, I thought she realised that the first time it happened.

So what, give her a break.

Indiechic
28-06-2008, 12:11 PM

So each time people make the same mistake, then post about it, no one is allowed to say anything?

hmm. :roll::lol:

But back on topic, i hope the rest of the babies are ok and that you get them all neutered to prevent any more little accidents.

NickieM
28-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Are you remembering that beside the cost of having the boys neutered, you will need to have them all vaccinated twice a year and VHD'd too. That isn't cheap. Each rabbit will potentially cost 50 pound for spaying, plus 45 for vaccinations a year - that makes 100 pound times by 9. That is before you feed and house them. Even if your vet gives you a discount for having 9 it will still be a lot of money. That is probably why your parents are freaking out. You should start trying to get good homes for them now so you have time to check out the people - make sure you get them sexed before they are older so you can separate boys and girls before you hand them on pregnant.

MaxiandScottandbuns
28-06-2008, 03:24 PM

On this forum?:lol: Youre avin a larf mate

Lillian
28-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Wow once again i am reminded that someone people on here are bloody horrible!!! People made me feel like crying last time because a pet shop sold us a pregnant bunny and i was made to feel like it was my fault

MY MUM IS PAYING TO GET THE GIRLS SPAYED NEXT MONTH, THE BOYS ARE BEING NEUTERED SOON TOO, THE BABIES WILL ALL FIND GOOD HOMES, SO BACK OFF HAVING A GO AT ME :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
BLOODY SICK OF IT! I AM TRYING TO BE A GOOD OWNER, SORRY IF I DON'T MEET YOUR STANDARDS!!!! :evil::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::evil:

Jack's-Jane
28-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Wow once again i am reminded that someone people on here are bloody horrible!!! People made me feel like crying last time because a pet shop sold us a pregnant bunny and i was made to feel like it was my fault

MY MUM IS PAYING TO GET THE GIRLS SPAYED NEXT MONTH, THE BOYS ARE BEING NEUTERED SOON TOO, THE BABIES WILL ALL FIND GOOD HOMES, SO BACK OFF HAVING A GO AT ME :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
BLOODY SICK OF IT! I AM TRYING TO BE A GOOD OWNER, SORRY IF I DON'T MEET YOUR STANDARDS!!!! :evil::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::evil:

Hi Lillian :)

Not sure where in Surrey you are but if your parents need any help sorting out the babies and seperating them into same sex groups I could pop over and help.
Dont post your exact location on here, but PM me if I can help

Janex

loopylop
28-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Please be aware of the tone of your posts and remember personal attacks on members are against the rules.

XMissySJx
28-06-2008, 04:34 PM
like u said the first time wasnt your fault at all, and this time u have a made a mistake. to be honest in my opnion, mistakes happen. and in my eyes as long as u find them good homes and do the best for them that you can possibly do, youre okay in my eyes.

Im sick of people putting p[eople down when they come on here for help, okay so what happened isnt good, dont get me wrong im not saying it is. But just make sur eyou do the best for your rabbits, and put them first, and while you do that i think that you are just a person whos made me a mistake.

I dont judge people if they make mistakes, i judge people on how they fix the mistakes. xxxxxx

Lillian
28-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Please be aware of the tone of your posts and remember personal attacks on members are against the rules.

I'm probably not going to come back anyway, sick of being judged by complete strangers

Lucy
28-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Maybe some strangers are the ones who work in rescue and are sick of clearing up so called 'mistakes'. It's very upsetting to rescue workers to see people who don't learn and don't act responsibly.

Maizy
28-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Maybe some strangers are the ones who work in rescue and are sick of clearing up so called 'mistakes'. It's very upsetting to rescue workers to see people who don't learn and don't act responsibly.

That maybe the case, but alienating them with caustic judgements helps no one, especially not the bunnies.

sazzy
28-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I use to work in a rescue and would never judge anyone by there mistakes WE ARE NOT ROBOTS we are human and we DO make mistakes

SOAD
28-06-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm going to lock this thread now as the only place it's going is a row.