• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

do male rabbits have nipples? do female rabbits mount?

harpo

Warren Scout
I took in what i believed to be a pair of mature male bonded rabbits earlier in the year, one was very hard to handle and used to growl when approached by humans, over the past 3 months he has come around alot and will now hand feed and let me pick him up - since i have been able to handle him i have noticed 2 pairs of nipples on his belly, he also used to mount his companion - would a female do this?? As his companion died recently (kidney problems) i am due to take him to a rescue for a new companion and need to know for sure what sex he is, he is going to the vet on thursday for general check-up and jabs but i wondered if anyone out there had any similar experiences???:?

male rabbits will mount anything if they are feeling frisky.:roll:, females will also mount other rabbits, mine do it all the time.

just had a look on google and some sites say they don't have nipples, but they also say some females don't have them, this can't be right. maybe somebody can go and look at their males to see if they have nipples, i can't as i can't hold the rabbits at the moment as i have a poorly hand.:).
i have heard that stallions are the only mammal not to have nipples.:?

has he been neutred, if not he will have pretty obvious testicles.:shock:

Last edited:
Not sure if my rabbit is neutered or not, definitely no testicles down there..... he has at least two pairs of quite prominent nipples, booked in at the vet's on thursday for his check up and jabs so i'll find out for sure then, lots of websites say male rabbits do not have nipples some say they do..very confusing! do females spray?

Not sure if my rabbit is neutered or not, definitely no testicles down there..... he has at least two pairs of quite prominent nipples, booked in at the vet's on thursday for his check up and jabs so i'll find out for sure then, lots of websites say male rabbits do not have nipples some say they do..very confusing! do females spray?

They mark which is just as messy:lol:

Hi
Just to clarify a few things bout male bunnies
1. male bunnies can sometimes 'suckup' their testicles when they feel threatened slightly so it may appear they do not have them, the best way to sex them is to apply slight pressure around the genitals and a boys man hood will show the girls bits do protrude slightly but it is leaf shapedand closer to the anus than a boys bits.
2. both male and female bunnies mount other rabbits in the neutered maleand female this is a sign of dominance (not necessarily aggressive dominance).
Hope this helps!
;)

lots of websites say male rabbits do not have nipples some say they do..very confusing!

I'm afraid the websites that say that male rabbits do not have nipples are deluded - and probably missex rabbits on a regular basis!

Just have a think about humans - men have nipples as well as women. They may not appear on top of a big boobie but they definitely have them!

I can say with absolute 100% certainty...and without a shadow of a doubt...that male rabbits do have nipples :D

Have you had a look at the 'sexing rabbits' thread elsewhere on the forum?

I took in what i believed to be a pair of mature male bonded rabbits earlier in the year, one was very hard to handle and used to growl when approached by humans, over the past 3 months he has come around alot and will now hand feed and let me pick him up - since i have been able to handle him i have noticed 2 pairs of nipples on his belly, he also used to mount his companion - would a female do this?? As his companion died recently (kidney problems) i am due to take him to a rescue for a new companion and need to know for sure what sex he is, he is going to the vet on thursday for general check-up and jabs but i wondered if anyone out there had any similar experiences???:?

:wave: Hi, when i got my lionhead, i was told he was a male therefore he was called Toby, the day before i took him for his Myxi i found some little lumps:shock: i started to panic until my o/h told me they most prob was nipples.And yes at the vets next day it was confirmed "Toby" was actually "Poppy" so snap you might find you have a girlie, plus my cousin recently had 2 girlies and the one whos more dominant Daisy, mounts the other Ruby:oops::oops: Hope you get on ok.x

Was confirmed as a female by the vet! going in to be neutered on monday, poor thing is about 2 years old and has spent 20 months of that time living as a male:shock: her previous owners obviously never took her to a vet.

Was confirmed as a female by the vet! going in to be neutered on monday, poor thing is about 2 years old and has spent 20 months of that time living as a male:shock: her previous owners obviously never took her to a vet.

:shock: Poor thing, best wishes for monday let us know.x:D

We took in an 8 year old rabbit, it was said to be a male all that time, it is actually a girl.:? She's having to get used to a new name now, although she got so little attention I'm pretty sure she never learned her old name!

well come on i remember my male nieghbour getting freaked out that his cat had nipples, "well i was like well you have nipples dont you " he shut up then

Back