• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reassurance needed re: neutering

Clara11

Young Bun
Hi everyone :wave:

My little man's going in on Thursday to be neutered, however I've become a little concerned as to whether he is old enough.

The vet checked him when he went for his jab and she said leave it a couple of wks and then he can be done. However he is only just coming up 3 and a half months so I'm wondering whether we should wait until he's a bit older.

When I phoned to make the appointment the nurse questioned his age too but was happy to make the appointment as the vet had seen him. She does all the neutering/spaying in that surgery so she must know if he is ready or not. Its just he's age that has begun to concern me.

Does this seem too young to be getting him done? I know its normally 4-6 mths so I guess a couple of weeks doesn't make much difference ... does it? :?

All the advice I read suggested that as long as they had reached a certain weight (presumably to cope with the anasthetic) and their plums had dropped then they could be neutered.

In the end I had to wait for their plums to drop, but being a dwarf cross, they only weighed just over a kilo. My pair (two brothers) sailed through their operation, and really seemed to appreciate having each other at the vets and in recovery.

Does your little man have a girlfriend? And if so will you be taking her along as well?

Last edited:
No he doesn't have a girlfriend .... yet! We are planning to adopt a rescue bunny for him once he's been fixed. Also we are on holiday at the end of July so are going to wait until we get back!

That's part of the reason I have booked his op for this week so he is fully recovered before he goes to his holiday home!

OK, excellent. There are pro's & cons to taking the girly to the vets with him. My two boys had each other to comfort themselves, but equally they also managed to pull out all their stitches without the vets help!

We had a mass neutering day last year, about 8 RU boys all went in on the same day, and so Hazel, Acorn, Alvin, Peanut Butter and a few others were comparing war wounds for several days afterwards.

What weight is your guy? I dont think age will be an issue - I know some have been done much younger. My boys were 5 months old before I could get them done due to their plums not being big enough, but it couldnt have come soon enough as they were really starting to display hormonal behaviour to each other.

He weighed 2.2 kg (I think!) when we first got him and that was around 5-6 wks ago. He has got a bit bigger since then but not much, I don't know he's weight as of now. He is a mini lop by the way.

The only hormonal behaviour he has shown is circling your feet grunting! Other than that he's been ok, not really been stroppy or anything. He hasn't even tried humping anything ... well yet, he's still got a few more days :lol:

Well it doesnt sound like weight is an issue...I'm not convinced about this "mini" description! Hazel and Acorn are still under 2kg at 1 year 2 months :D

I think I noticed the hormonal behaviour more with having 2 males together. They had started to get into minor scuffles and chasing. I was really worried they would have a serious fight before before they were neutered. It doesnt sound like you have anything to worry about.

I would definitely recommend he is kept somewhere nice & warm for the first couple of nights afterwards where you can keep a close eye on him. MissySJ had real trouble with Peanut Butter re-opening his wound and had to take him back to the vets. Send some treats to the vets with him to encourage him to eat as soon as possible. Keep an eye on those poos! Also, hay/straw might not be the best thing for him to lie on afterwards as it might irritate the wound - I got some vet bed (which they hate) but an old (clean) towel could work. But fingers crossed all will go well for you :D

Well I certainly feel a bit better about it now, thanks for the advice.

I'm sitting on the living room floor with him and the little tinker has just started going crazy running round in circles grunting .... and just going a bit bonkers really. I guess the little guy is ready for the snip the way he's carrying on at the mo :lol:

His hutch is straw based but he only goes in their to eat drink and use his litter tray, I'll put them on the floor and take his ramp away for a couple of days so he can't get up there. He sleeps underneath his hutch in a litter tray with a towel anyway so won't be any different for him really.

Back