• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Photos my new Dwalf Lop! Advise any owners?

clairescanvas

Young Bun
I have just purchaced a Dwalf Lop (well according to the pet shop its a lop) but her ears are not lopped, at what age do they drop?

I bought her as a campion for my male black domestic rabbit Norris...any name suggestions for my little girl are mor ethen welcome!

Last edited:
should i get her spayed? and at what age?

all females should be speyed as it reduces the risk of uterus cancer - this can lead to a slow and painful death, and often sees a bunnys life shortened unnecessarilly.

some vets liek the bun to be atleast six montsh before tehy will spey - it is best to ring your vets to see what their preference is.

however untils peyed iw ould not place your doe near a buck, even if the buck has been neutured havinga female around who is nots peyed can arouse hima nd cause him to harrass her.

hI, i love dwarf lops, billy was a dwarf lop:love: i think its the ears that do it everytime!!! Any pics yet of your new baby.x

all females should be speyed as it reduces the risk of uterus cancer - this can lead to a slow and painful death, and often sees a bunnys life shortened unnecessarilly.

some vets liek the bun to be atleast six montsh before tehy will spey - it is best to ring your vets to see what their preference is.

however untils peyed iw ould not place your doe near a buck, even if the buck has been neutured havinga female around who is nots peyed can arouse hima nd cause him to harrass her.

I knew there was health risks with dogs if they are not spay but was not sure about rabbits. My Buck Norris is neutured to stop his may i say horney nature (also he was hand reered and not good to breed with)
I will not be breeding her so its the best option to get her spayed (im calling the vets tomo:D)

Im not sure of her age however im guessing shes very young as she does not have lopped ears.

ive just taken some photos of her so ill try and get them posted! she is so adorable and so tame. When my partner brought her home she was exploring right away...think i have a little madam on my hands lol!

photos of my new baby

Randoms1120141.jpg

Last edited:
How old did the pet shop say she was? SHe looks younger than 8 weeks old...:? even for a dwarf lop but then again i have no idea what size a dwarf lop should be at that age but by looking at her face she looks quite young...

i wouldnt put her in with yours until she is bigger and speyed and capable of taking care of herself should Norris's advances cause her damage;)

She looks a poppet... I have two lops who i think are mini lops as they are a bit bigger than dwarfs... Or have i got that the wrong way round?

Wow she's tiny! :shock: I'm no expert but I'd say she doesn't look a day over 5 weeks :( Far too young to be taken from her mummy :?

I went to see my Bobbin (mini lop) at 4 weeks of age and his ears were already lopped :?

Not your fault at all, just hope she will grow up fit and healthy :)

I wouldn't recommend introducing her to your buck until she is say 8 weeks old. Good vets will spay a doe when she weighs over 1 kg which she may be by as early as 12 week. It may be worth holding out until she is spayed and then attempting to bond them :)

I think mini lop is the smallest as the pet shop said she could be a mini lop as she is very small...but ill find out when i visit the vets.

I hope she is not younger then 8 weeks, the pet shop i brought her from is a renowed one and is normally very good. I hate the way so many pet shops seem to know very little about the animals they are selling!

I let Norris meet my new rabbit, i put them in mutral terrority and left them for about 30mins (with a very watchful eye) They just seemed to eat together and occassionally sniff each other. My new Lop seems to be more interested in him then he is of her.

I put Norris back in his bed and my lop seemed to be looking for him (very cute) I plan to slowly introduce them and keep then in seperate beds. when i do put them together fully i will buy them a new bediing area for them to share just incase Norris gets territorial.

Last edited:
I hate to break it to you, but there is no way she is 8 weeks old, probably not even six...

This was Bobbin at 4 weeks:
1338231328_737361dcf2.jpg

1338231312_0d6aca23bd.jpg

Not very good pics, sorry, but you can see that his ears were already lopped and he was bigger than the size of my hand, I can see yours fits in a hand.

Just do some reading up, or ask for advice on here about bringing up very young buns :) Lots of people have done it from even younger with success, but they are very delicate at that age :(

Good to hear your other bun was not territorial, I wouldn't recommend leaving them together unsupervised yet, she will be very delicate no matter how gentle your lovely boy is :)

I would go back to that pet shop and get them to find out from the breeder who old exactly that bunny is. I have bred to show mini lops and they are about that size at about 4 weeks :shock: I would certainly have strong words with them about where they are getting those poor bunnies.
She is very cute tho bless her:love:

Bobbin was much cuter than Carlton at 4 weeks!

DSCN0654bun.jpg

he fitted into a palm at 4 weeks and at 8 weeks - when i got him - he has bigger than two palms.

your bun is a cute little poppet but i wouldn't have thought he was more than 4 weeks old.

Carlton had one ear lop at 7 weeks and the other fell at about 10 weeks.

Last edited:
Back