• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

new Dwalf Lop! why are her ears not lopped?

clairescanvas

Young Bun
Ive just purchaced a new dwalf lop (well thats what breed the pet shop owner said she was) however she does not have loped ears! Do there ears drop with age?

i bought her as a campion for my house rabbit, a black Domestic named Norris, whom i hand reered.

I know its naughty of me not to adopt a rabbit from a rescue home (i swore id never buy from a pet shop) but the rescue homes near me were not very keen on me adopting a rabbit as a house rabbit. :(

Last edited:
Hiya :wave:

My Kiki is a pure mini lop doe - she was 8 weeks old in my signature (below) - as you can see her ears haven't lopped in that pic, but she is nearly 9 weeks old now and they're slowly drooping. Her ears got wider before lopping.

Usually their ears will lop between 8 - 12 weeks.

My boy is a mini lop cross, also nearly 9 weeks but he isn't showing as many signs of lopping, but may slightly..

x

Plenty of pet shop rabbits are sold as purebred but are really mixes or very poorly bred rabbits.
Serious show breeders breed for rabbits that lop early, but poorly bred lops may not get completely loped ears at all. (I've seen lops/mixes with ears out to each side, one ear up and one down or not lopped at all)
Normally the ears should have loped by 8 weeks, but that's not always the case, especially with pet shop buns.

any name ideas are most welcome...planned to call her Dorris as my other rabbit is Norris but it does not seem to suit her lol!

Love rabbits have a really helpful guide on rabbit names for all different kinds of rabbits: http://love-rabbits.com/fun/rabbit-names-25-popular-rabbit-names

I wouldn't worry too much about buying instead of adopting - all rabbits need homes. It's important to choose a pet that is right for you, and animal shelters don't always have that available!

Last edited:
Our bunny has a bit of lop bred in, but we didn't know for a month or so after getting him (he was 3 at the time) because he had them up all the time until he got used to his new environment. Maybe your rabbit is like this too?

Back