• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny fostering

cazh

Warren Scout
Hi,

Hope you're able to share some of your knowledge and advice with me!

I'm looking to get a male bunny to bond with my female (spayed) bun. I have been keeping an eye on here for ones close by and been looking on rehome websites as I know that rehoming is the best way. However (pls don't hate me), as I was in p@h this week to get some more food I saw the most adorable bun thats been in the adoption bit for weeks now. He's so cute and friendly and would be the perfect companion to mine, except for the fact he's not neutered. I will need to get a bigger cage (they will be indoor rabbits) for them to be together, but as this one i've seen is not neutered i'd probably need to keep him separate in another cage until he has the op - which will mean me buying two extra cages! I don't think I really have the space or money to keep three big cages in my house (and don't think my parents would be too happy either) and ideally I didn't really want to have to go through the trauma of another operation which lead me onto my question....
Do you know if it would be possible to find someone to foster this rabbit until he's had his operation and recovered? I'd pay for the op, I just don't have the space or have the time off work to nurse him back to full health and keep a watchful eye on him during the day to make sure he doesn't lick his wound etc. Do people on here offer fostering services? or am I best asking a rescue close by if they can take him in for a couple of weeks? I'm just interested to know how I could go about this as I really want him as he's adorable and his previous owner had 'apparently' just dumped him outside the pet shop as they didn't have space for him! :cry:

I've never bonded bunnies, so I'm just going by what I've learnt on here (I'm paying particular attention because I'm going through the same process myself).

I don't know how high the odds are of the bunnies just not liking each other after all your efforts but it's a definite possiblity. The best way seems to be to go to a rescue with your existing bunny so the bunny herself can choose her partner. It is hard when you've got your heart set on a particular bunny isn't it? I'm kind of at the same stage, though I'd be able to go for the option of just keeping them separately if they really don't like each other.

Back