• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home-made hay?

AnyBunny

Warren Scout
My partner and I share our bunnies. They spend their time fairly equally beween him at the home base (Redditch) and me (temporarily in Cleckheaton (WRY)).

Several weeks ago, when he took them back to Redditch, I left their uneaten long-stalk grass in a basket - admittedly because I was too busy (ie lazy) to throw it out.

The other day, three weeks later, I finally got around to throwing it out. Except it has dried. It's the most gorgeous emerald green and has turned into hay. Or pure dried grass. With dried dandelion and vetches. Or something. It smells so clean, fresh and grassy that I want to fight the little ******* for it :shock:

Can I please suggest that, if you have somewhere to dry grass, you take your garden shears out into the field margins or your local bit of waste ground (away from the paths where people walk their dogs, obviously), cut long grass and dry it in the spare room? Lay it out on fabric or polythene sheeting and just leave it to dry. We're having a wet summer so the grass should be succulent and fresh well into August unless the weather changes dramatically.

Err, do not adjust your set. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

i'm thinking of doing this when i get my allotment, altho more risky as i'll be dependant on dry days as i won't have anywhere to store it to dry

Back