• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Partner for Bunny - ITS NOW "NOT"

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Twinkle has been separated from Pickle for over a month and her tummy and mucky bum problems have improved 90%....

I have been introduced to a lovely timid nethie not too far from me at a rescue.. he is neutered and ready to go...

Question is, do I risk Twinkle's tummy getting bad again? I dont think she will be as stressed with a little bunny like herself (rather than the bully Pickle), but she does seem stressy about everything... ie., yesterday was rather windy and she was hiding in her bedroom most of the day cos she was scared... this morning her bum had a few bits of poop as she was stressed yesterday with the weather.

She seems ok on her own... so do I risk it or not? Rescue will do bonding and will take back the bunny if it doesnt work out...

DONT ALL JUST TELL ME TO GET THE BUNNY :lol::lol::lol::lol: I really need unbiased advice to help Twinkle!!

Last edited:
Oh this is a tough one... I think I'd be tempted to leave Twinkle, in case it all flares up again. The only other thing would be to have a major contingency plan in place!

edit: I've just re-read your post. I missed the bit about taking the bunny back again if it all goes wrong. I guess that is your contingency plan! :)

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmm, well if Twinkle has lots of human company as a HouseBun and is generally happy I think I'd take the 'if it aint broke why try to fix it' route :?

But then again it may be that she would bond with a less dominant Bun....:?

Gaaaaaaaaaah, not much help am I........:oops:

Janex

Hmmmmmmm, well if Twinkle has lots of human company as a HouseBun and is generally happy I think I'd take the 'if it aint broke why try to fix it' route :?

But then again it may be that she would bond with a less dominant Bun....:?

Gaaaaaaaaaah, not much help am I........:oops:

Janex

She is not a house bunny any more - it was temporary for about 3-4 weeks, but the kids' asthma was bad so she moved back outside to her own house/run.

Both bunnies are single and outside.

She is not a house bunny any more - it was temporary for about 3-4 weeks, but the kids' asthma was bad so she moved back outside to her own house/run.

Both bunnies are single and outside.

Oh, well in that case I'd give bonding a go with the help of the Rescue

Good Luck

Janex :)

Hmmm lots of thinking to do...... and if I get Twinkle a bun she is happy with, I will have to do it all over for Pickle the bully-boy!!!

Now what kinda bun would put up with him :roll:

I'd say if the rescue has offered to take bun back if it doesn't work out then try the bonding:D

then you look for a match for Pickle!!!:shock::lol:

Well the rescue have now changed their minds and say Twinkle is too big for the little nethie cross they have.... Twinkle is crossed with a larger bunny so is bigger than a normal nethie. It was them that had originally suggested him to me in the first place :(

I am rather disappointed... and although can understand the rescue's stance, wish they had not introduced me to him and then said my bunny was too big.

I am not going through all this each time I approach a rescue, so my two bunnies will now remain SINGLE.

That's ridiculous imo - do they not want this rabbit to get a home?? I've seen bunnies partnered with other buns twice their size and it's not the size that's the problem it's the personality of the rabbits involved.. sorry you've been messed around (and then they wonder why some people give up on rescues and go to a petshop :roll:)

....... however, I wouldn't give up on the idea for Twinkle, if you feel a friend would be nice for her. I'm a firm believer in bunnies in twos not singles, if that's what the bun wants - but as you know some are happier on their own.

I guess use your gut instinct and keep your ears and eyes open and the perfect partner may come along and if not I'm sure she's find as she is

I agree with Kay, don't let it put you off...

I'm always an advocate of bunnies in pairs, but even more so if Twinkle is nervous- a confident friend will make her happier, less nervous and bring her out of herself.

The bunny in question was 1kg whereas Twinkle is 2kg.

I know bunnies are better in pairs, but for the time being I have given up.... its just too much stress trying to speak to rescues and trying to get this sorted (no disrespect to rescues on here who I havent spoken to). Its such hard work going to a rescue... and I agree with kayjay - you can understand why people go to pet shops... I could have a bunny this afternoon if I did that! :evil:

I know you asked me for advice last year..
well my offer to have them here and bond them both still stands..it's just a long way to travel:?

Amongst my buns I have a continental giant who lives with his mini lop girlfriend and a German Lop (Boots) who has lived with Mia the lionhead for the last five and a half years :D

Personality of the bunnies over size every time!!!

I know you asked me for advice last year..
well my offer to have them here and bond them both still stands..it's just a long way to travel:?

Thanks Jill.... you might be my last hope.... I will think about this. I havent forgotten our chats last year about my two when I was considering separating them.

I will be in touch if I can sort something out and feel my two are ready for new partners.

Back