• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange Skin Problem

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hiya

I'd noticed a while back that Maddie had a couple of scabs on her back - just above the tail - but her and Nibbles had a bit of an arguement a while back so assumed they were bite scabs from that. But they're not really healing at all and I've now noticed they're not scabs, but lumps of flakey skin.

On closer inspection (and a few bites later, ouch) there is this band about 2 inches up from her tail is covered in a continuous hard mass of dry skin. Theres no fur loss and infact the fur seems to be part of the scab/skin mass and its just awful!!

I've taken her to the vets who have given her an Ivermectin injection for mites and taken a skin sample for analysis, but are a bit confused. Just waiting for the results now, but has anyone any ideas what this could be? It doesn't seem to bother her, except its obviously sore when I try to look at it.

At the moment i'm washing it in Hibiscrub on the vets advice but she's not liking that at all and I'm not sure if it being wetted is the right thing?

Can anyone help??!!
Thanks everyone

It does sound like mites to me, they often look like dandruff (dry flakey or powdery skin) and are most commonly found along the spine.

I usually give a good wash once (if the Ivermectin has been delivered via injection) and then brush the area once a day to remove debris. Mostly it clears up after 2-3 Ivermec injections.

It is contagious though so dont use the brush on anybun else and take care when handling your rabbits. Keeping bedding scupulously clean also minimises the risk of reinfestation.

I'd agree about Mites and the dandruffy skin, but this is like a solid scab - would that still be a typical symptom of mites? I'd liken it possibly to Cradlecap in babies?

What would Ringworm look like? I'll go google it!

just out of interest, i was grooming minstrel this morning and she's got a few bald patches where she tends to mat pretty badly. anyway, i noticed the skin on her back looked rather flakey..... could this be mites?:?

just out of interest, i was grooming minstrel this morning and she's got a few bald patches where she tends to mat pretty badly. anyway, i noticed the skin on her back looked rather flakey..... could this be mites?:?

It could be as the flaking can cause the fur to matt but she is longhaired isn't she? If so the matts can pull on the skin making it sore, flakey and pulling the fur away form the follicle eventually.

Ringworm looks like a small circular patch of missing fur with raised circular bumps arranged in a circle along with a dry surface. Could the scabs be from scratching?

Back