• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problems With Bunny Bonding!!

flopsymopsy

New Kit
hi everyone!..im a newbie, so i appologise if this sort of question has been asked before.
i am having a lot of problems bonding my 2 buns, dinky and thumper. :cry:

on sturday, i brought home my new bunny, thumper (a baby french lop). i already have a 4 yr old english spot rabbit, dinky..and i was hoping they would get along...alas, it hast happenned.

i introduced them on neautral territory (the bathroom) and from the moment dinky saw thumper, he took a dislike to her.

in the last 2 days, he has dug his claws into thumper, nipped her, had endless fights, and in a attempt to not share a space with her, chased her under a cabinet.

the poor little soul is scared witless of dinky.. when dinky causes a fight with thumper, i spray water at him and sternly tell him he is doing wrong..he then goes off and sulks.

does anyone know what i can do to help dinky accept thumper?..i dont want to seperate them, but i feel i have no choice.

dinky has been neautered, so i was hoping he would be a great housebunnymate for thumper.

any advice you can give i would appreciate!
thank you! :)

I am sure someone who has lots of experience will be along to help you soon. I have only bonded buns once and i think i was lucky!! Sorry...

I would keep them separate for a bit for now. I think you probably need at least a month after he's been done for the hormones to reduce and on big buns it seems to take even longer than that.

Hopefully by this time thumper will have forgoton to be scared. You could then try again on neutral space, it might be worth taking them on a car journey together for about an hour and then popping them back on in the bathroom. Make sure she can't run away from him and let them get on with it. As long as he is not physically locking on to her or drawing blood they should be ok supervised (fancy spending a night in the bathroom). Chasing, humping and a little nipping is normal.

Hi, I am a newbie too, but I have built up my group from a pair to six rabbits. The last addition is still being integrated into the group and I expect it will take some time yet before they all finally settle down.

With your new rabbit, I think the first problem is being nervous at it new surroundings - you only got her Saturday and she is a baby still! Let her settle in, get used to you, the noises in your house, the routine etc before attempting bonding.

I think you will also have more success if Thumper was neutered, given time to recover before trying again on neutral territory. In the meantime, as they are both singles, they can be kept in the same room, in separate cages, so they can see and smell each other.

Back