• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Algae in water bottles

Carob

Mama Doe
Does anyone know how to get rid of the green stuff that is in the rabbit water bottles I have no idea what to use to clean the bottles up and they get fresh water reguarly?

Thanks in advance?

I brought a bottle brush for use on mine, it's double ended and has a big and small brush. I also use Milton, it's a very safe disinfectant used on baby products....I have even heard of a sandwich store which washes their lettuce in it :shock:

I used to have a bottle brush when mine had bottles and I never had problems with algae, but then again if I saw they were slightly dirty I'd usually throw them away and buy new ones as they were cheap enough.

Mine now have water bowls though, they prefer them and I change their water 2-3 times a day so it's fresh.

i give mine (coco's)hot water and a shake usually cleans them,otherwise i buy a new one only 99p in local shop:)

I belive what you need are called "bottle brush"s. Most general household stores sell them like Wilkinsons

I use Milton on my bottles - you have to be careful with the spouts, as you can't see what germs and dirt are building there.

I have a feeling that you can stop algae build-up by covering the bottle, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you screw up some newspaper and put the pieces in the bottle along with a bit of water, give it a shake and that cleans the bottle.:D

I'm glad you asked as I was going to post the same question...
I bought a bottle brush this morning and it's too big to fit in the bottle...

I use a little strip of a green scourer and water shake it then drain the water out then put my little finger in and rub round the inside rim then pull it out add more water and empty :D

I use my finger around the top and then the bottle brush, in hot soapy (ecover) water, then a good rinse with hot water to take any soap away. I run a lot of hot water from the tap and then a good splash of boiling water from the kettle through the spout. - boiling water kills virtually everything! Even used it on the buttercups in our back garden (poisonous to the cavys).

I don't use bottles, but Milton or denture tables are best. You need to put the spouts in a tub of water and use the same cleaning fluid on them as well.

I've also heard that bottle covers can stop algae, I usually clean what I can sticking my bendy fingers in the bottle, then use camomile tea and warm water, shake and rinse.

Although I have a good back up of bottles :D

Back