• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rats and rabbits

claire_wales

Young Bun
we have just seen a rat on its back legs looking into the rabbit hutch out on the back yard.will it kill my rabbit if i dont kill it ?we have never had trouble with rats before and i now got my other half shouting that its there because of the rabbits.the hutches are cleaned every other day so i dont know why it has suddenly apeared all the food is up the garden in the shed with the other rabbits.

Last edited:
So, 17 People Have Read My Post But No One Has Botherd To Reply.....oh Well, Thought Id Have Had A Bit Of Help To My Question,guess I Was Wrong.

I have rat problems a couple of times a year though have never found them bothering the rabbits.

I have been assured by the vets they can not pass anything onto the bunnies.

I use wrap rat poison in clingfilm and put it under the decking which is where I have the problem and tie it to something so I can tell if it has been taken. I repeat this until they have stopped taking the poison and that is it until the next year.

If you ring the councils pest control department they will also come out for free.

Do you have bird feeders out as these also attract rats.

Hope that is of some help

I guess if people don't reply it is quite likely to be because they don't know the answer rather than 'not bothering' to reply.

i dont want to kill the rat and i wont be killing it so no worries,my mind is at rest now knowing it wont kill off my rabbits,i have only seen 1 rat and only seen it once so i think its gone now.i just wondered if i would have to kill it or risk losing my rabbits,i cant kill anything.
sorry if i was a bit off earlier, i lost one of my baby bunnies this morning and ive been in a sh***y mood since.after seeing the rat i was worried i would end up losing the rest of my furry friends in the garden..
i guess its over to rainbow bridge for him now poor little thing.
i dont have bird feeders out,we took them down as i found 2 kittens so thought the bird feeders would just be like setting traps for the poor birds.
i was thinking of trying some sort of trap with some rabbit food in it so i could just take it and let it go somewhere but i was told i would have to poison it so as it would take it back to its nest and kill the rest of as there would be more if there is one around.ive been all to hell all day thinking of having to poison it,never mind as long as my rabbits and guinea pigs will be ok then welcome to my garden little ratty!!

thanks to everyone for the replies.

when peanut was 4 months old a rat bit into his hutch and bit peanuts tail, he went straight to the vet and the vet thought he was going to need to remove his tail :? it was very horrible,it was all bloody etc.

i would take preacutions to ensure ratty cannot get into your hutches

xxxxx

i dont like wild rats i just have this image stuck in my head of the big fat ones with nasty teeth that carry diseases sorry got no advice xXx

Rats can transmit approximately 14 diseases or infections to humans - some via their fleas and the most well known Weil's Disease via their urine or more rarely by biting.
it is essential that proper precautions are taken to prevent contact with rat urine. The urine is constantly sprayed to mark territory and in many cases remains pungent for some weeks, even heavy rain does not break it down. The harmful bacteria survives best in damp grass or in water.

This is the reason I put bait down. With a 3 year old with lots of little friends running round my garden it is just not worth the risk doing nothing.

Back