• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed - Bonding a single to an established pair

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
Got a gorgeous girl from Kayj today to bond with one of my pairs. at Kay's they were fine, huddling together and a few scuffles, but nothing major.Got a new disinfected cage and attached in to a pen and put them together in a neutral-ish part of the house. But, Stella (the new girl) is hogging the cage and snapping at the others if they want to get in, and Belle and Perry are dominating the pen area so if Stella wants to get out, they are snapping so she gets back in. Ive tried mixing them up and they end up scrapping. Shall I attach Belle and Perry's old cage to the pen as well so they are somewhere to go that's there's and then Stella will have hers and the pen area is somewhere they can all go? Then amybe wait it out? I'm struggling for ideas and what to do next. Any advice would be gratefully received!

Please?

Ta xx

Maybe you tried to put them together too soon? What about putting them in cages next to each other so they can see and smell each other but not touch, then think about putting them in together slowly?

My advise when it comes to bonding is to have the area as open as possible with nothing in there that one bun can "claim" as their own. If Stella is hogging the cage I'd personally take it out of the equation for now and let the three of them just have run of the pen. Don't worry if you think it's too small an area, the more they have to interact the quicker they will get things sorted. Fingers crossed for you hon.

Last edited:
I am glad Perry is standing up for himself (it was a txt I got of Lisa earlier) I thought things would change when you got them home and Belle would become the more dominant one.

I am glad Perry is standing up for himself (it was a txt I got of Lisa earlier) I thought things would change when you got them home and Belle would become the more dominant one.

Oh he's definitely standing up for himself! Bu**er! Ive now got them in their own cages attached to pens, and the pens are side by side. When they all go in the travel case they huddle up and are fine, but open spaces...!

Just going to take it easy I think. They can smell each other and see each other and stuff an O/H is off college tomorrow so he's gonna do some bonding sessions with them. Glad to be at work tbh...!!:roll:

Back