• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beads and bits

JadedRed

Young Bun
Right now i'm watching my bunny playing with a pillowcase that has dangly beads around the edge. Would it be safe to give him jingly beady things like necklaces and such to play with or would this be a hazard. Are there any bunny safe materials i could make similar toys out of?

I'd be tempted to think of the rabbit as a baby and what you wouldn't give to one don't give to the rabbit. There are plenty of hanging chew type things you could buy for a rabbit - I have 2 and he loves them! I hang them from the hutch/run door. You could hang from his pen etc.

Right now i'm watching my bunny playing with a pillowcase that has dangly beads around the edge. Would it be safe to give him jingly beady things like necklaces and such to play with or would this be a hazard. Are there any bunny safe materials i could make similar toys out of?

Normal beads and jewellery are not safe at all.

But baby toys/infants toys such as string able cotton reels should be bunny safe (under supervision as they will chew the plastic) and plastic baby rattles/teething rings (NOT the get type).

Also you can use parrot toys - beads are available to make your own "parrot" toy or you can buy them already made up (can be expensive).

These animal safe woods may be dyed with food colourings or animal safe paints/dyes (I would avoid these). You can soak the natural wood beads in apple juice (allow to dry out again) to make tasty beads.

If you are more crafty you can make your own beads from bunny safe woods e.g apple tree branches. Cut short lengths and drill a hole for stringing in each one.

ALWAYS make sure the beads are strung on a natural (bunny edible/safe) cord.
Never use or make small beads that could be choked on.
Be very careful you do not make anything that the bunny could get wrapped around them or strangled by.

Back