• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Removing yellow stains on rabbit feet?

Stalvros

Warren Scout
I need more info on bathing rabbit~
Or rather, to remove yellow stains on their feet :(

At the moment the cage i have is small for them
(Well, its ok since they're still small but they'll need a bigger cage when they grow up)

My plan at the moment is to just train them to use the potty first.
And then perhaps let them roam around the kitchen without having them to poop/pee everywhere but the potty. But yeah i still need to know how to remove those yellow stains on the feet :(.

(I know lots of people say that its normal)
(But i guess its just psychologically cleaner)

Is there a 'safe' way to do it?
I saw this youtube vid at;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-9BR2DF_Mg

I don't really know if that's the 'right' way of doing it~
So just thought i'd ask all the experts in this forum~

Evo is a house bunny, and litter trained, and he has perfect white feet anyway. :D Maybe you'll find that your bun's feet are cleaner when they're litter trained?

Evo is a house bunny, and litter trained, and he has perfect white feet anyway. :D Maybe you'll find that your bun's feet are cleaner when they're litter trained?

Is that EVO in your .gif?
So cute XD

Wow, how did you maintain him to have perfect white feet?
Ummm, well~
I know that they're eventually going to be cleaner when they're litter trained~
But i just thought that someone's gotta wash their feet like at least once before they get used to the litter.
(I'm under the assumption that the yellow stains are their urine/poo stains)

I also need more info on litter-training them~
Some says keep shoving their poo inside
Others say you wait and see where they poo mostly in and shift the litter there. I also heard that you must lure them with 'hay' to be placed near the litter~

I'm not convinced they are urine stains (but I'm not an expert). My black bunnies have grey fur on their feet and the two bunnies I've had with white feet have creamy yellow fur on the underside of their feet. The front paws are the same colour as the back feet and the litter trays have absorbent material in so I'm not sure how the front paws would get stained.

I've always found my bunnies even from about 8 weeks are excellent at weeing in the tray, pooping is more of an issue but they have all got the idea fairly quickly. .. using the methods you've already listed - moving the poo to the tray, putting the tray in the corner they've chosen etc.

I'm not convinced they are urine stains (but I'm not an expert). My black bunnies have grey fur on their feet and the two bunnies I've had with white feet have creamy yellow fur on the underside of their feet. The front paws are the same colour as the back feet and the litter trays have absorbent material in so I'm not sure how the front paws would get stained.

I've always found my bunnies even from about 8 weeks are excellent at weeing in the tray, pooping is more of an issue but they have all got the idea fairly quickly. .. using the methods you've already listed - moving the poo to the tray, putting the tray in the corner they've chosen etc.

Good evening Bunny Buddy~

Umm, The stain isn't really visible on Carpet's feet~
But yeah, probably it's still there (Just camouflaged)

At the moment both my bunnies have no idea how to pee/poo properly~
I'm quite desperate at litter-training them at the moment as i really need them to be trained if i want to move them to a bigger space :(.

I've arranged a bigger play-pen for them but it probably won't be able to accommodate their size 3-4 months later when they're fully grown. Do you also use the 'poo-moving' method? I've been moving poo to the tray for like 3 full weeks now and still no progress :(

I've just looked at your last thread, and then looked at all my bunnies feet. All 4 of them have discoloured fur on the bottoms of their feet, it's caused by them running about. IT'S NOT URINE. It's normal and won't come off.

If its urine it would smell, but I really think it's just probably because the fur is thicker on the soles of their feet. Even my black bun has yellowish grey fur on the undersides of her paws. Its the natural colouring, just as the soles of your feet would discolour as your skin hardened if you were to walk barefoot all the time.

The video shows one way to bath a bunny, but it can be stressful, and I wouldn't do it unless your rabbit is definitely dirty and you can detect a smell on them.

I've just looked at your last thread, and then looked at all my bunnies feet. All 4 of them have discoloured fur on the bottoms of their feet, it's caused by them running about. IT'S NOT URINE. It's normal and won't come off.

If its urine it would smell, but I really think it's just probably because the fur is thicker on the soles of their feet. Even my black bun has yellowish grey fur on the undersides of her paws. Its the natural colouring, just as the soles of your feet would discolour as your skin hardened if you were to walk barefoot all the time.

The video shows one way to bath a bunny, but it can be stressful, and I wouldn't do it unless your rabbit is definitely dirty and you can detect a smell on them.

Ahhhh alright~
so its not like 'dirty' right?
Another member from another forum gave me this reply;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
try rabbit dry shampoo (powder form).. rub some powder into their feet, then wipe off the powder. make sure you remove the powder completely.

but pee stains are very stubborn and hard to remove. the best bet will be just to wait for the dirty fur to fall out over time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now my main issue is more towards potty training them
Do you have any useful tips Siona?
I need the most effective way of doing it :(

?

Rabbit hate baths! There are lots of other options you could use...

1) Brush the yellow parts with a flea comb or a brush with soft bristles untill it starts to fade.

2) If any parts of the fur are clumped together with dirt, cut or clip the fur (Unless of course it can be brushed out easily).

3) Buy some special grooming wipes.

4) CLEAN THE HUTCH MORE! The yellow is either coming from wee the rabbit is walking in or sometimes even the yellowish dye in wood chipings!

5) Wipe all yellow parts with a damp face cloth.

My Lola has dirty feet. Its because she runs around the garden - and sometimes sits in her litter tray because she CAN!!! Despite having a lovely bed with hay!

I think its just a bunny thing to have dirty paws!

even when you try all the ideas i gave before, it's impossible to make them COMPLETELY white. At most rabbit shows, slightly yellow/cream feet don't even matter.

Thanks again for the insight sparklefieldsrabbitry
and of course, ~ Cat ~ ^_^

Umm well~
I dont want to make them 'completely' white
But just........ less yellow?

Because at the moment its so yellow that it looks
super dirty :(

Cream would be better~
Umm ~Cat~, can you tell me more on how you train Lola to litter?

It gets easier when they are neutered because they lose the urge to leave the scent everywhere.

I put paper down and saw where they like to poo and wee, then put the tray there. Then i reduced the amount of paper gradually until all that was left was the tray. It helps too if you put the hay rack where they eat over the tray, so they have to get into the tray to eat.
You will still get a few poops for a little while, but not many. When they are neutered they get much better. :)

Your bunnies are lovely!
Do you have something in their litter tray? Like wood shavings or woodbased litter, to absorb the wee? Is this what you mean by 'potty" - a tray for them to use as a toilet?
I just wasn't sure! :)

@Siona

oh yes, i've placed the hay on top of the potty ^_^.
They just eat the hay but still pee/poop on other location -_-.

@SmokyJoe78

My thanks kind sir for the compliments ^_^
Yep, that's what i mean by potty tray ^_^.
And yes, i've placed lots of pine shaving pallets bits.
But still doesn't work :(

I've tried the following tricks already;
- shoving poo into the potty tray
- watching where they poo most and just shift the tray there
- place hay onto the potty tray
- place MORE pine shaving pallets bits onto the potty tray

Nothing works :(
They still pee/poo everywhere~
(Sorry, cancel that out...... CARPET still poo/pee everywhere)

I use a whitening shampoo it is easy you just need a calm bunny you just cover the tips of the fur and leave it in for about 5-10min then rinse with warm water and dry very well just the tips of the fur though I do this once or twice a week when mine get yellow feet it is really made for dogs but it works on any fur

Thanks for the tip Sir/Lady/Mam AllForTheAnimals ^_^
Umm, would it be possible to provide me a picture
of your whitening shampoo or perhaps give me an online
website where i could purchase them?

A picture so that i could print it out and see if the pet
shop i usually go to have them.

With reagards to the litter tray, are you using the pink one that was in your new cage post? because if it is I dont see them using it to be honest. I would use a plain litter tray without a cover like the one in your pictures and fill it with hay, make sure its big enough for them to get in and put their hay ball near so they can eat and poo at the same time.:)

With reagards to the litter tray, are you using the pink one that was in your new cage post? because if it is I dont see them using it to be honest. I would use a plain litter tray without a cover like the one in your pictures and fill it with hay, make sure its big enough for them to get in and put their hay ball near so they can eat and poo at the same time.:)

Hahahaha yes, that's the one~
Hmmm, so you reckon i should just change the litter tray?
Because the pink one looks more..... 'presentable' XD

Or that's what i think at least :(
I'll see what other tricks I could do so that they could use it.
If all else fails..... sigh, back to the ol' crappy-lookin' aluminium
boxie container filled with hay :(

Hahahaha yes, that's the one~
Hmmm, so you reckon i should just change the litter tray?
Because the pink one looks more..... 'presentable' XD

Or that's what i think at least :(
I'll see what other tricks I could do so that they could use it.
If all else fails..... sigh, back to the ol' crappy-lookin' aluminium
boxie container filled with hay :(

If it was me i would change it . Ive never seen a rabbit use a litter tray like that before as i know alot of rabbits like to sleep where they poo, but maybe other forum members have? I guess it wouldnt hurt to try a differnt kind. :D

I could take off the upper part i suppose~
Just curious, could you show me the litter box
that you're using?

Back