• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help, possible EC

nic99

Warren Scout
Milo has been off the last couple of days. He has been very picky about what he eats and has been a lot less active than usual. I thought it was a mild case of stasis and have been treating him for such (infacol, tummy rubs etc.), as his poos are very small and dark.

However last night I noticed a couple of times his head kept moving slightly to one side and then he would bring it back again. As far as I could he didn't seem to be doing this voluntarily. Also when his was to the side his eyes were flicking. Not a lot, just a couple of times. However this only happened a couple of times and he seemed fine again.

However tonight he is so much worse. I bought him this evening and he seemed ok. Still not eating properly but he seemed more active and alert. However about 10 mins ago his head and neck twisted right round to the side, pretty much so he was looking backwards. One of his front feet lifted off the floor and he was nearly falling over. This lasted about 30 seconds to a minute and then he went back to normal. He was very frightened when it was happening and wouldn't let me touch him.

Right now his head is straight and he is sitting in the middle of the room. He is grinding his teeth though.

Does this sound like EC? what can I do for him?

Thanks

Nicola

I'm not an expert, but it does sound like possible EC to me. If you want to treat it as if it is EC without having the bunny tested, you can buy a course of Panacur without prescription. If you get positive results from the Panacur, you should continue for 6 weeks to eradicate the spores.

If it were me though, I would take the bunny to the vets to check out the possibility of other causes too though. Good luck!! :)

It has just happened again. he seemed to be feeling better and ate 3 dandelion leaves and then he had another attack. I hate seeing him this way and I feel so helpless. I am going to try and get him to the vets tomorrow morning if they have any appointments available. If not, definately on moday. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to keep him comfortable? Should I keep him in the dark or anything like that?

I don't really know what to suggest, sorry :(

He's probably having some kind of fit or stroke, so perhaps try to reduce stimulating him too much?

Definitely keep him warm, as his temperature might be dropping. Is he pooing OK? If you have any doubts about eating/pooing and how distressed he is, I'd try for the vets tonight. Must be very distressing for you to watch too. :(

He is still pooing, albeit small ones. But his guts are definately moving and he has just eaten some brocoli. He is still grinding his teeth now and then though, which is strange as i'd have thought if he was in pain he wouldn't be eating at all. He has also just gone for an explore around the living room and has tried several times to have a wash but he keeps falling forward.

I do hope your Vet will see him today. I think you need to insist that this happens.

It sounds as though your Bun most definately has a problem effecting his CNS which requires urgent treatment. This is likely to include anti-inflammatories, antibiotics and Panacur/Lapinzole.

GI stasis or reduced gut motility is more often than not a secondary symptom of another primary problem. So whilst treating the slow guts is important identifying why its happening is essential.

Sending lots of get well vibes for Milo.

Janex :)

I have just gotten back from the vets. He has been given an injection of anti-inflamatory, 10 days worth of Baytril and panacur. I was told to give him the panacur for 3 weeks. Is this long enough? he also said to give it to his companion, Tess, for just 9 days. I'm sure I have read on here it needs to be for 6 weeks for both of them. Should I buy more?

I have just gotten back from the vets. He has been given an injection of anti-inflamatory, 10 days worth of Baytril and panacur. I was told to give him the panacur for 3 weeks. Is this long enough? he also said to give it to his companion, Tess, for just 9 days. I'm sure I have read on here it needs to be for 6 weeks for both of them. Should I buy more?

Personally I would give the Panacur to both buns for 6 weeks.

Please keep us updated on Milo's progress

Janex :)

I agree. You can buy Panacur online from a variety of sites. It's cheaper than you will have paid at the vets too.

Back