• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a dog used to rabbits and vice versa. Any help?

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
We want to try and get Darcy (family boxer dog) used to the rabbits and vice versa. Because she hasn't been brought up with them, is rather large, could easily hurt them etc; we don't allow her to be around the buns without them having a pen as it would be far too dangerous to risk.

As well as roaming the bedroom (which is a decent sized room, but i don't think it provides the needed space for proper exercise), we have been putting the buns in a run outside whilst locking Darcy indoors. Darcy usually proceeds to sitting by the patio doors watching them and licking the glass.

We've let Darcy in for a quick sniff and nose when the buns are in the crate so she can try to get accustomed. Tonight; we've put the run in the living room and have let Darcy stay. She's actually been really good, standing up to have a nose every now and then but she's just been lying down by their pen watching them intently.

To my suprise, Verity has been very good! She even came up and sniffed Darcy's nose. Benjamin on the other hand has mainly remained completely still. I don't want to stress any of the animals out but I feel it's needed to get them used to each other so getting the buns out for a run isn't so stressful.

Any advice?

To be honest, I would keep a muzzle on the dog whilst in the same room as the bunnies. I know it doesn't sound nice, but even the tamest dog I wouldn't trust with a rabbit. It's in their nature to kill prey animals

Just my opinion

Well, the dog's not really ours so we aren't able to muzzle her, not that we'd want to anyway. I've decided just to keep them seperate now anyway.. It's too much stress to watch them all at the same time. The pen will be set up in the dining room from now on.

I got my dog used to the buns by taking him out on a lead whilst the buns were free in the garden. His first reaction was to chase them (typical terrier :roll: ) but after a while he just totally ignored the buns bombing around the garden. Eventually we could even let them out in the garden togther without any restraint.

Hi there.
It usually just takes time and patience. I have terriers and it took almost 3yrs for one of mine to be "trusted" with my Rabbit, she is now 100%. I had the rabbit in a secure run in the garden and largely ignored the watching by the dog but rewarded her when she came away. The other dogs were used to "free range" Rabbits so it wasnt a problem. I think you will need to let the dog be around all the while and the Rabbits remain in a safe pen untill such time you feel its worth a try. They will all become aware of eachothers actions and reactions, and therefore learn to cope in eachothers presence. Best of luck.

I have a very laid back house bunny :love: He lived in his crate and pen for a couple of months and one night we decided to try him with our dogs a GSD and a Field Spaniel. The dogs were already use to bunnies in the garden and on and off in the house contained in dog crates and pens due to foster bunnies.

Lenny loves the dogs and the cats and they love him :love: He is free range and only popped in his crate while we feed the dogs as Lenny likes to steal the food :shock: This works for all of us :love: and they really do all adore each other.

Milly and Lenny :)

babies059.jpg

babies058.jpg

Back