• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mites

minimack

Mama Doe
I have never had a rabbit have mites until now!!

I have always had dust free hay which i know is heat treated.

But the feed suppiers where i get my allan and paige and rab royale have lovely hay so for the last 3 weeks they have had that and i now have 6 rabbits with mites.

My question is: are mites carried in the hay??

Is there anything you can do to stop them?

I believe mites can be carried in hay, yes.

Does your bun definitely have mites? One of mine recently did and I treated them successfully with Xeno 450, which is a spot-on like treatment to be applied once, and again two and four weeks later :)

I am assuming so. Scaly patch have been told its mites anyway and Ivermectin spot on has def cleared it up for one bun the others are on a course now.

Would you treat all the buns or just the ones showing symptoms?

I think you are only really meant to treat the buns showing the symptoms. The ones without symptoms probably don't have mites because they are managing it somehow, they can also be stress related.

I thought Bobbin's may have been stress related as a consequence of his previous relationship, and I didn't treat Roo as she did not appear to have them :)

I would suggest that you thoroughly clean their surroundings as well as possible too :)

Yep tomorrow afternoon and monday off work every hutch being scrubed and virkoned:shock: I cannot stand when they have anything wrong

Back