• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Happy Freecycler........or the cardboard tube from Staines

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Well as you may know from another thread running currently, I have been a bit of a Freecyclist and have managed to acquire some wonderful things for my bunnies and for the rescue that I used to help out at.

Today I was given a very large cardboard tube for my bunnies. I am delighted (but sorry that some other forum members weren't as lucky as me - sorry Oldie Bunny). I have sawn it in half and attached battens to each side to stop them rolling and then gave them to some of the buns here at the moment.

As it happens, I have my friend Katie's Nuttie Boy and Cherry Pie staying here at the moment while mum and dad have a very well deserved holiday.

Now, Cherry was the second ever bunny that I took from Freecycle so it's kind of apt that she is now benefiting from it in another way.

She was offered up by her owner (you certainly couldn't say carer) with her boyfriend. Needless to say, she wasn't neutered or vaccinated and neither was he. They had been kept with piggies. I wasn't allowed to see their accommodation but was handed them in a plastic kitchen storage box at their front door.

Cherry had very poor vision due to her inner eyelids growing over the whole of her eye. Sadly when they went in for their neutering (with our very, very bunny savvy vet) poor Thomas passed away as soon as he was put under the GA. Didn't even make the op. His lungs were dreadful from infection and sawdust.

Anyway, long and short of it was that we kept Cherry here while she had eye ops and some time later, a lady came into the rescue who needed a wife for her recently bereft Nutmeg. She saw Cherry and fell for her immediately despite her care requirements. They have been very happily married for about a year now and were very pleased to see something new to play with while they are here.

Hooray for Freecycle.....

Here's Cherry Pie....

IMG_1265.jpg

Here's her with her husbun

IMG_1253.jpg

And them trying out their new play thing.... the tube from Staines!

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

Last edited:
What a story and what a difference you've made to poor Cherry :cry:
I'm so glad she's found a happy home and you've been able to make her life so much better.

That's the kind of difference I look forward to making one day :)

What a story and what a difference you've made to poor Cherry :cry:
I'm so glad she's found a happy home and you've been able to make her life so much better.

That's the kind of difference I look forward to making one day :)

You have already Caroline - certainly to Harriet and Riley!

That is such a bittersweet story... horrible start but happy ending for a lucky bunster

p.s. loving those tubes

Back