• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

OMG dissaster

sticky bun

Warren Scout
i decided to clean out babies nest today as they 17days old, so i put them on the grass in their own garden with mum.... and went indoors for 30 secs to get the disenfectent.... out the corner of my eye i saw a cat running across my garden wiv a baby in its mouth.. i screamed at it and it dissepeared.... thank god it dropped the baby.... it has a small puncture wound on its side... i bathed it and the wound is small so think that is ok... but the poor little thing was very scared....i put it bk in hutch wiv its bros n sis.... its just sitting looking shocked.....will it be ok, is there anything i shud do... im gutted..... i will put them in their run in future.....and not in their garden till they much bigger.... will it be ok do you think.....:(

cat saliva has a lot of nasty stuff in it which can quickly cause an infection, it is essential you get this little bun onto a course of antibiotics as a preventatve measure else you will likely have major problems. (i say this from expieriance in a wildlife rescue with birds and buns being caught by cats)

I would keep a very close eye on the rabbit, shock is a real killer....the baby may need heat therapy. If it becomes, cold, floppy or lethargic it is vital it is taken to the vet for emergency support.

Puncture wounds are prime abcess sites, I would bathe it well with warm saline (dry well after to prevent chill) and see if the vet thinks antibiotics may be needed though I suspect they will want to avoid these at all costs due to the delicacy of infant digestive systems.

i did bath it wiv salty water, and will do again regually.....its cuddled up wiv rest of family so thought it be best left quiet to recover....im hopeing they will keep it warm .....we dont hav a local vet on sun, do u think its ok to leave it till mon.....and see how it goes?

arh hope baby is ok?personally 17days is abit early be cleaning the nest out.if im wrong someone correct me if im wrong?x

arh hope baby is ok?personally 17days is abit early be cleaning the nest out.if im wrong someone correct me if im wrong?x
they seem to not be going in it now im finding them cuddled up behind it.. it was minging.....i retained the clean fur n hay and added that to the clean nest and put them in it... they all cuddled up in it now. tho every time i go out to check poorly baby the others rush out to play....im just peeking in now n then so they stay in nest wiv poorly one....

Ditto what bunlover said about antibiotics...cat bites are virtually the only bite that is pretty much guaranteed to get infected.

It's fine to clean the nest out at this age as you will probably find they will vacate it any day now. I would definitely see the vet about some antibiotics though because cat puncture wounds can turn quite nasty.

Personally I think a trip to the vet will be a huge stress for the baby and I would keep an eye on the wound and go from day to day. You also have the issue of mum rejecting the baby as it will smell very different after going to the vet and it still needs milk.
17 days is a bit young to be on the grass, my babies dont go on grass until at least 3.5weeks old, more normally 4 weeks. A cardboard box for a few minutes wont hurt.
Dont use too much disenfectant in the hutch, babies are fragile

Good luck
Louisa

bad news im afraid.... the little love was dead this morning.....im gutted.... that little one was my 12yr old faverate.....hes been through so much with major heart n back surgary.... i had told him we wud keep that one no matter wot the sex was and get it neautered.... he dosnt know yet.....its only been 4 mts since his brother died, i know hes gonna take it very hard hes a very sensitve lad.....

Back