• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wheatabix...

Mazda

Warren Veteran
is this ok for rabbits to eat??

I seen a video on you tube of some rabbits eating wheatabix and wondered if is was ok for them to eat.

does anybody on here let their buns have wheatabix??

If its ok for them to eat i might give Pebble some :)

Mai xx

I have given my bunnies Weetabix and they love it but I give it very rarely and as a treat as I am not entirely sure of the implcations.

Shiv

weetabix

i give my rabbits half a weetabix each about once a week, it is a suggested occasional food in the book "the good bunny guide". bite sized weetabix would be a good choice maybe.:bunny:

I wouldn't feed it to my bunnies :/ its too processed and wheat can play havoc with their insides. it's not poisonous as such, just not really worth the risk when there are so many other, safer things you can feed :)

Rabbits tummies are designed to digest grass and hay. I'd avoid weetabix, it may upset their tums.

Weetabix is not just made of wheat it also contains additives including sugar. Sugar when added to the gut if there is any evidence of fermentation occuring will increase the amount of gas in the gut resulting in an instantateous bloat, which can lead to stasis.

I would not advise giving any sugary products or processed foods to any animals.

If you want to give treats there are many natural products which are far healthier for them and just as enjoyable.

About 12 years ago my new zealand white broke his teeth and couldnt eat, my vet actually suggested weatabix made with water so he didnt have to chew. He didn't take to it then but I would give him one dry occassionally and he would love that. He was over a stone in weight so had a whole one.

Back