• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit castration

baobao

Young Bun
hey all,

I am gettin my male rabbit castrated on tuesday. He is just turnin three years old. Reason why i am doing this is cause for the past few months he just tried to **** everything that moved!

But except for that he is has an awesome personalitu n we love him to bits!

When i told my mum that i have booked in an apppintment for the surgery she was quite upset n said it isnt fair for the rabbit. After she said this i felt quite concerned n havin second thoughts whether i shud let my rabbit proceed. This maybe not an aswerable question but do rabbits actually know when theyhave been castrated or spayed n so they feel upset or pain from this??

Hello, :wave: are you in the UK or US

The bun will only feel pain for a couple of days after castration so make sure you ask the vet for some pain releif for the bun after the op.

There are many good reasons for having him done and if you do a search on here there will be articles and threads which will give you lots of info.

We had a bun done at 3 years old which calmed him down and now he just loves his cuddles.

Good luck

Nope, he'll have a much more enjoyable and relaxed life. Instead of having ranging hormones :)

Anything is if he's started with the humping he may move on to spray urine - that's certainly not something you want :lol:

He will only be in a little bit of pain for the first few days.

I think the reason a lot of people don't like the idea of castrating their pets is because they compare it to a human castration.

The rabbit won't know what has happened to him, for all he knows it is a perfectly natural thing that happens. Rabbits aren't under the same sort of social pressure as humans are. He won't feel ashamed because of it. Once the hormones are gone he won't even remember what it was like before hand. He won't feel that he is missing anything.

It would be far more distressing to leave him intact with nothing to 'do'. He would just become very frustrated.

Back