• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do???? please PLEASE HELP!!!

donniedarco

Young Bun
Hi - PLEASE HELP ME!!! I NEED SOME SLEEP AND A HAPPY BUNNY!!! :( sorry its long.... :(

Breif history. I brought home little Flopsy last saturday to be a new house bun. She is now 17 weeks and was hand reared. Got her from rescue centre, where she was homed then in standard rabbit hutch :?

Indoors now she has an enclosed run 6'x2', with her litter tray, food, water and toys. When I am there she has the run of the house (studio flat) - and is highly amusing binking everywhere - then settling down by my legs to watch tv :)

So basically she gets an hour out in the morning, 45mins at lunch and approx 2hrs in evening out in the house.

During the day, she is great, she doesn't make a fuss and goes quite happily back into her run. Also when she loose in the house, she'll often go back to run to use litter tray - or just to touch base.

The problem starts at night when i go to bed! :cry: She stresses out and wrecks the run! Chews the bars, throws her litter tray about, chews and digs the carpet (am not worried about the carpet - more about her digesting it) or ripping up cardboard I've put down to stop her eating carpet!

Why does she stress so much going back into the run in the evening?? She is perfectly happy during the day :?:? She has plently of hay and fresh water all the time.

Also she stops as soon as I get up even though I ignore her (which isn't great as can't keep getting up through the night :roll:) And as its a studio flat she is keeping me awake! :cry::roll::cry:

Is she attention seeking or genuinely stressed or what?? :?

I want her to be happy, but I also need to sleep! :shock: :oops:

ANY advice or thoughts please and appreciated - thank you :)

Perhaps but a blanky overtop the bun's run? That way it seems darker and perhaps cozier? I'm not sure what to suggest. I've noticed that Polo likes to "rearrange" his run over the evening, he'll toss his hay box, but that's about it. Perhaps put bun in a smaller hutch over the evening so there is less room to thrash about? I'm not sure.

She wants to play:lol: rabbits are more active o/night and mostly sleep during the day. Do you plan to get her spayed? if you do this will also help to calm her down.

I would suggest lots of toys, blanket over the run and earplugs

Just reread your post and from a behavioural point of view, everytime you get up to her will encourage her to be more "rowdy" as this gets your attention. You must really try and ignore the noise if you can.

Last edited:
Hi - PLEASE HELP ME!!! I NEED SOME SLEEP AND A HAPPY BUNNY!!! :( sorry its long.... :(

Breif history. I brought home little Flopsy last saturday to be a new house bun. She is now 17 weeks and was hand reared. Got her from rescue centre, where she was homed then in standard rabbit hutch :?

Indoors now she has an enclosed run 6'x2', with her litter tray, food, water and toys. When I am there she has the run of the house (studio flat) - and is highly amusing binking everywhere - then settling down by my legs to watch tv :)

So basically she gets an hour out in the morning, 45mins at lunch and approx 2hrs in evening out in the house.

During the day, she is great, she doesn't make a fuss and goes quite happily back into her run. Also when she loose in the house, she'll often go back to run to use litter tray - or just to touch base.

The problem starts at night when i go to bed! :cry: She stresses out and wrecks the run! Chews the bars, throws her litter tray about, chews and digs the carpet (am not worried about the carpet - more about her digesting it) or ripping up cardboard I've put down to stop her eating carpet!

Why does she stress so much going back into the run in the evening?? She is perfectly happy during the day :?:? She has plently of hay and fresh water all the time.

Also she stops as soon as I get up even though I ignore her (which isn't great as can't keep getting up through the night :roll:) And as its a studio flat she is keeping me awake! :cry::roll::cry:

Is she attention seeking or genuinely stressed or what?? :?

I want her to be happy, but I also need to sleep! :shock: :oops:

ANY advice or thoughts please and appreciated - thank you :)

Hello :wave:

My little wild bunny was a house bun for over a year, she used to be in a cage in my lounge, at night I let her have a run round for a couple of hours then back in when I went to bed. She never made any noise at all until the morning when she did the rattling of the bars thing and the rearranging! Though when I had her in my bedroom once on her own in a cage she made a right racket! Attention I think though I could be wrong. The same thing happened when I bonded her with a domestic bunny a few weeks ago. I had them both in a run in my bedroom where they were reasonably quiet during the day but went mad at night and actually made a big hole in my bedroom carpet.....! Can your rabbit see you when you're in your bedroom?

Hi

Thank you all for your replies!

Think I am going to invest in some ear plugs! :D

I guess its just like having a new baby, and getting into a routine maybe?

I don't have a smaller run for her, only her travel crate which is quite large? :(

Yes am will get her spayed as soon as can, what age can you get them done??

DD x (& Flops!:wave:)

My buns are active early morning/sleep during the day/very active late afternoon/evening.. I think it's the pattern they follow in the wild, so she's just doing what nature tells her.... :)

Hi

Thank you all for your replies!

Think I am going to invest in some ear plugs! :D

I guess its just like having a new baby, and getting into a routine maybe?

I don't have a smaller run for her, only her travel crate which is quite large? :(

Yes am will get her spayed as soon as can, what age can you get them done??

DD x (& Flops!:wave:)

My vets say 6 months old.

I would have a chat with your vet and see how confident they are at spaying rabbits, not all vets are. My girls were spayed when they were about the age of yours, although the vet that did them had done loads and was happy to do it at that age :D

I know she is exhibiting normal behaviour, its just my oh's house bun is most active dusk and dawn, not all the way through the night! :)

She is due her VHD jab monday week, there is a really rabbit savvy vet there (who unfortunately we didn't see for her mixi jab :censored:) that I will request that we only see her and ask her about spaying then. She'll be a week short of 5months then.

In the mean time also, found some old kitchen tiles and have lined her run with these, hoping it'll be less difficult for her to get her teeth into! (Even though she is prob objecting to the carpet as it is minging pink! :D)

Apart from that - she is sooo friendly and funny, she makes me laugh out loud when she binking around all over the place!!! More entertaining than telly!

What if you bunny proofed your studio and left her out at night. Mine don't do anything. They potter about if they want to but generally they like to eat and sleep at night. Why not cover your wires, remove any house plants, cover your couch and see what she does if left out?

What if you bunny proofed your studio and left her out at night. Mine don't do anything. They potter about if they want to but generally they like to eat and sleep at night. Why not cover your wires, remove any house plants, cover your couch and see what she does if left out?

as really it should be bunny proofed if she is out anytime of day then prehaps this is the soloutionalso it oculd be that she doesnt like the dark and is scared what about leaving a dim light ora night light on for her?

another suggestion i have is make sure she has extra toys or something enw at night by that i mean have a bunny toy box(tunnels boxes blocks of wood or something so she doesnt feel alone as she is too busy with her new toys, with chelsea we give her a cardboard tube(from a kitchen roll) and in the middle place 4 bits of carrot(about amount of 1-2 carrot tops chopped up....or other veggies just as a small treat she loves flipping it up to get the treats and it keeps her from getting bored at night.

you could also try getting her a bunny freind(but again ul have to wait till she gets speyed, dora and snowy when in house if cold(normally outdoors) are hapier if have run of living room than if shut in small run area? hope this all helps and keep us poseted

once you open and expand the area and let your bun run around, you expand his territory. By the time you put him back in the cage, you limit those territory, so he's not happy

My bunn chucks his litter tray around in his hutch at night, thankfully we can't hear him from inside!! But recently it's been better, we bought a few new toys & treats that he only has a night. He's less reluctant to go in his hutch at night now.

i would suggest u tie down things like toilet that make a noise.... and add toys as suggested....shes bound to be bored at nite when buns are more active.... but at least u can limit the noise if things are tied r fixed....maybe a soft toy to chuck about.. that wud be quiet lol

The flat is bunny proofed!!! Made sure before got her!! :) Am just not that confident to let her have run of whole flat just yet.... :?

Having said that, am going to try and leave her in the hall tonight, so she has more space ;)

Brought her a football today to roll around :shock::)

Do you think soft toys are ok?? I'd like to get her something, and a nice vetbed type thing but oh says she'll just shred?? :?

Its great having all you guys with your experiences!!! Soga BIG THANK YOU!!

And also Thank You for reading! Am most neurotic owner! :oops::D

On the odd occasions ive had to sleep with b shes slept most of the night.As buns aren't nocturnal but crepscapular i thought that was normal,am i just lucky then?

Back