• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baseboards and rabbits

Cynthia

Young Bun
So how does everyone that has a in house rabbit keep them from trying to bite your baseboards and all the other wood in your house. My rabbit has her toys and everything but she still bites on our wood in the house. Need help please husband is not happy:cry:

Is that the same as skirting boards? around the room along the bottom of the walls? Luckily I've never had too much of a problem with Rocky chewing these, they don't have a 90 degree corner on them tho, they're kind of inwardly rounded, so maybe they're not easy to gnaw on.

Sorry not of any help!! :oops:

EDIT to add that I always give rocky a couple of big thick carbaord boxes to dig in and chew. He seems to prefer ripping these to shreds than anything else. You can get wooden blocks linked together which attach to the cage for him to chew on? Sometimes I think they like to chew and gnaw on things that are fixed and can pull against, as well as things they can throw around?

Last edited:
my buns are all outdoor buns, but even inside mine were all fairly well behaved.

What about getting strips of perspex and attaching them to cover the skirting boards and kick board in kitchen etc? :wave:

My husband did make her a box with two stories in it so maybe this will keep her away from the stuff she isn't supposed to chew. Thanks everyone

My bunny didn't grow out of this until he was about 2!!! Luckily our skirting boards (and doors and door frames!) are stained wood, so we got a little pot of wood stain and painted in all the bitten bits. :lol: Doesn't look too bad until you look closely. :oops:

I have this problem with our two house rabbits - the eat all of the walls that are sticking out at a 90% angle - it looks really awfull!

I have tried millions of toys, boxes, wooden planks for them to chew, telling them off, spraying sour spray - nothing works at all!

I have even looked online to try and find something to protect the walls and cannot find anything at all!

If anyone has ideas I would welcome the chance to to have to re-plaster my walls soon!

I used Aluminium Worktop Corners for walls which were being chewed.
I wedge rabbit tunnels behind all furniture (like the sofa) to stop them lurking behind to chew the carpets, skirting boards or the sofa itself. My lot have no choice but to shoot through the tunnels and out the other side.

Hosepipe covers all exposed cables (pity there isn't better colour options - mine are all green)

Behind the TV, where there is a big concentration of cables and various sockets in the corner, I use a large peice of MDF wedged across the corner as a barrier, with the TV cabinet pushed against it (which stops my lot from getting behind from underneath too) All the cabling goes over the top of the MDF(where the rabbits can't reach) and into the back of the cabinet. I haven't bothered, but the MDF could be painted to match your walls.

As for skirting boards in general, I can only suggest placing a false one infront, which can be replaced from time to time, leaving the original one undamaged.

Last edited:
I read in Rabbiting On magazine that eucalyptus oil was supposed to deter bunnies from chewing if you rub a little on the areas they like to chew. It worked for most of my bunnies, except Barney who just carried right on chewing!! I gave up in the end & decided I just had to put up with it! :lol:

i will try the oil i think
i have tried chewwa stoppa, vinegar, soap and chilli powder, at first the soap worked but now captain doesnt mind it much, and pepsi has STARTED to eat it! i'm at my wits end and sick of family teklling me "i'll never sell the house if i keep those rabbits" etc.

please keep posting ideas here its all really useful!

Boris did this when he was younger but I think he has grown out of it now.
He does chew other things though :oops: like my mum's new sofa,which cost £1000 :shock:

i wonder if i can buy anything to fill in the holes in the doorframe and then paint over?

i am rubbish with discipline, i have squirted him with the water pistol at first but now he's totally oblivious to it

I have this problem with our two house rabbits - the eat all of the walls that are sticking out at a 90% angle - it looks really awfull!

I have tried millions of toys, boxes, wooden planks for them to chew, telling them off, spraying sour spray - nothing works at all!

I have even looked online to try and find something to protect the walls and cannot find anything at all!

If anyone has ideas I would welcome the chance to to have to re-plaster my walls soon!

Mine too! she's a monster for it :lol::lol: she just runs up and does it quickly and runs up the hall with a mouth of plaster :lol:
She hasnt done it in a while though :D

You could fix some clear acylic to the wall to stop her eating the plaster.

i wonder if i can buy anything to fill in the holes in the doorframe and then paint over?

i am rubbish with discipline, i have squirted him with the water pistol at first but now he's totally oblivious to it
I mixed up atrex and a little water when I filled my walls etc.. you can also buy wood filler that moves wen the door frames expand and contract.

One of ours chews the woodwork and anything else he can get his teeth into and the other doesn't. It was on my to do list to find out what others do! In our medium sized but cluttered house I try to have as little of the skirting boards accessible but then they resort to the door frames - can't win! :lol:

i will try the oil i think
i have tried chewwa stoppa, vinegar, soap and chilli powder, at first the soap worked but now captain doesnt mind it much, and pepsi has STARTED to eat it! i'm at my wits end and sick of family teklling me "i'll never sell the house if i keep those rabbits" etc.

please keep posting ideas here its all really useful!

Hiya, :wave:

I think Darcy must be close to holding the record for the most chewing, shes a terror!!! We had to do nemerous repairs to her ladder after she chewed right through it! She now has a home with no wood (metal shet and trellis protected by galvanised wire). The only bit of exposed wood work is part of a fence panel, which she started to chew, so I rubbed tea tree oil on the part that she could reach and she's not tried to chew it since!! :D Result!

Hope you find a solution soon :D

- Holly -

Edit - She also now has a husbunny which has changed her temperament a lot, she is much calmer and occupies her time bossing him about ( :oops: ), washing him etc, so less time spent chewing these days anyway!

Last edited:
Back