• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Abcess Related

Hi everyone,

Well my bun Charlie is 7 years old and since October 2007 has had a jaw abcess which are re-occurred 3 times! Unfortunately I hadn't caught it early enough first time so he was left with a boney lump permanently and in March he had 2 back molars removed which were the cause of the problem.

Through it all he has responded very very well, always remaining happy and eating, drinking and pooping well!

He went for his last check up on the 29/05/2008 which they checked his mouth and everything was fine and lump was just his boney bit.

I have always kept a close eye on his lump, and over the past 5 days I have been watching with extra caution as was not sure whether it was growing again - the reason i was unsure was coz his fur is all growing back in that area again and can make it seem bigger than this, so I put it down to this taking extra care to keep an extra careful watch.

He went into his house late last night and I checked it again - it was fully healed, fur was growing back, no scabs etc.

However, I have come home this evening and let him out and straight away have noticed that it has ruptured/burst/popped!!!! :shock: The lump has reduced in size so it has clearly drained - so i now realise my eyes were not tricking me after all!!! Anyway he keeps trying to give a clean and he is booked into the vets first thing in the morning as don't want it to get infected!

I've never known abcesses to rupture before, so am abit shocked/suprised to say the least :shock: :(

Has anyone else had any experience in this and does anyone have any advice on what I can do to try and help him before i can take him to the vets in the morning ie, do i clean it or not? if so what with?

Sorry to ask, I've just not experienced this before (abcesses rupturing)... :cry:

On the plus side charlie is eating still and is just cuddled down on a rug at the moment :)

Hi :D

My rabbit has just gone through the same, abcess leaving jaw lump and just to keep an eye on it to see whether the abcess returns.

Given the nature of rabbit abcesses it is highly unlikely that it has drained fully more like just a small amount has seeped out *yuck*.

All I would do tonight is give it a clean with some cooled boiled water and wait to see the vet. Have you any Baytril you could get him started on?

Good luck at the vets!

thanks for your reply lily - i've just never had the abcess actually rupture before, it had healed fully aswell...

think i have got some baytril actually in a draw so will give him some until he goes to the vets tomorrow.

My poor baby :(

My Hobbes has a jaw abscess and has had antibiotic beads stitches into the area where they removed the abscess. The vet also said it would be better for him to stay on his depocillin injections for the rest of his life and he will have one every week to prevent it from reaccuring.

Has Charlie had depocillin before or just baytril?

My 7 year old rabbit has had 2 abcesses since January 2008 both on the same side of his face but a little futher along the second time.

He too has a boney lump and Vet tells me it is more than likely to re-occur and at the moment he is on Depocillin injections every two weeks.

BAYTRIL IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME WITH THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM SO ASK YOUR VET TO PRESCRIBE DEPOCILLIN INJECTONS THEY ARE NOT THAT EXPENSIVE I PAY JUST OVER £6.00 plus VAT but it is also very important that your rabbit has bio-lapis powders in the water when on these injections to help keep the gut flora at the right levels.

Hope this helps

Back