• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Young rabbits

Cyberdog

Warren Scout
Hi,:wave:
My daughters has two rabbits Doe`s (not confirmed yet), which are sisters, and are now approx thirteen weeks old. They will start running around after each other and one will try to jump on the back of the other. Is this normal for Doe`s.

Rabbits will mount each other to establish dominance. It isn't necessarily anything to do with sex, although you might like to check that your rabbits are indeed both female in case it is sex!

When rabbits are first introduced there can be a lot of humping to see who is boss! Maybe they are doing that.

You need to confirm asap! As they are old enough to start breeding. You can do a quick check for testicles your self, they are two hairless pink lumps one each side of the base of the tail (you'll need to flip them over to look). If you find them you've definately got a boy if not you'll need to get an expert to look as not finding them might just mean they haven't dropped yet.

If you find them you've definately got a boy if not you'll need to get an expert to look as not finding them might just mean they haven't dropped yet.
Hi:wave:
Well, I would say the one doing the chasing is a Doe. I had a good look and I could not see anything to suggest it was a Buck. The strange thing is this is the very timid rabbit which is doing the chasing. It also pulls the fur out of the other ones tail. I have not been able to check the other one as it is not as docile, and I find it very difficult trying to get it to stay on its back without kicking around.

Hi:wave:
Well, I would say the one doing the chasing is a Doe. I had a good look and I could not see anything to suggest it was a Buck. The strange thing is this is the very timid rabbit which is doing the chasing. It also pulls the fur out of the other ones tail. I have not been able to check the other one as it is not as docile, and I find it very difficult trying to get it to stay on its back without kicking around.

Hi,:wave:
Since my last post the other day things are continuing. As well as chasing her sister around the place and continuing to mounting her, she is now also rubbing her chin on everything. She also snuggles up to her sister for her to give her a wash, which she does. I have got an appointment with the vet tomorrow so hopefully all will be revealed.

I would get the sexed by a vet just in case.

If they are two females you should probably get them neutred anyway as they will probably begin to fight eventually anyway. My two girls did :?

Back