• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutered doe - enlarged boobies

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Just come back from my vet (myxi jabs) and he was a little concerned about Flora's enlarged mammaries. She was neutered by the RSPCA as a youngster in 2003 and she's now aged 5. Almost as soon as I adopted her (end April this year) she came home and started nesting. I've never experienced a neutered doe nesting before but I'm told it can occasionally happen. However, given that it's now nearly the end of June, she still has enlarged boobies - all of them (so it's not a tumor on one boob). The vet was slightly concerned that she may have had some ovary tissue left behind at the time of the spay but he said rooting around inside to try to find something would probably cause more problems (specifically to her gut) than it would in leaving the tissue behind. Mammary tumours are supposedly rare in bunnies but obviously, if there is ovarian tissue floating around inside her, then the risk is increased.

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Just come back from my vet (myxi jabs) and he was a little concerned about Flora's enlarged mammaries. She was neutered by the RSPCA as a youngster in 2003 and she's now aged 5. Almost as soon as I adopted her (end April this year) she came home and started nesting. I've never experienced a neutered doe nesting before but I'm told it can occasionally happen. However, given that it's now nearly the end of June, she still has enlarged boobies - all of them (so it's not a tumor on one boob). The vet was slightly concerned that she may have had some ovary tissue left behind at the time of the spay but he said rooting around inside to try to find something would probably cause more problems (specifically to her gut) than it would in leaving the tissue behind. Mammary tumours are supposedly rare in bunnies but obviously, if there is ovarian tissue floating around inside her, then the risk is increased.

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Sorry, I have had no experience of this but I think your Vet has given good advice re not opening her up again.
As long as her enlarged mammaries dont cause her any discomfort I'd leave well alone.

Does she still display nesting behaviour?

Janex

Hi Jane,

No, she's not nested since the one initial episode and is exhibiting perfectly normal behaviour. I'm sure it's just a case of keeping an eye on her as there isn't really anything I can do.

Hi Jane,

No, she's not nested since the one initial episode and is exhibiting perfectly normal behaviour. I'm sure it's just a case of keeping an eye on her as there isn't really anything I can do.

I think that seems like a sensible decision.

Janex :)

Back