• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

5th bunny?

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
Hey
Bit of a long post sorry guys but i need advice.
A few month back i posted about "lucy" the rabbit who was rescued from her previous owners with a broken leg, which resulted in her having the leg amputated :(
My next door niegbhour had taken her then it was discovered at a checkup lucy was infact a luke! :shock: Luke made a good recovery and is currently an indoor bun - very affectionate and loving
My next door niegbhour has decided to move away and asked me if ill take her on 2 buns, luke and snowflake.
Even though I already have Phoebe,Fletcher,Holli and Piper I feel under obligation to take on Luke as I helped rescue him. My orignal intentions was to move Phoebe,Fletcher,Holli and Piper into the playhouse with run and then use my huge indoor cage to take on 2 rescue piggies. I know it is selfish to take on 2 piggies aswell as Luke so itll be one or another!
As per my thread last month about my trio being hurt off Fletcher, im currently in the middle of bonding them using "play dates" which is going really well. Im scared if I take Luke on, itll affect my bonding with my other 4 as eventually luke will have to be bonded with them, and Luke only has 3 legs so im worried fletcher will hurt him as Luke cant move very fast
My uncle who knows my niegbhour has offered to take on both rabbits for his allotment. He was interested in breeding buns not so long ago and im seriously worried incase he breeds. Id rather try and find a rescue for them then go to my uncle for breeding. I also feel a 3 legged bun wont be suitable for the allotment either. I spoke to my uncle and mentioned about vet bills and how Luke espisally will need his ear cleaning, regular excerise to keep his other leg strong etc.
I can commit finacially and time wise to take on another bun but Im not sure wether 5 will be to much to handle
what do you guys think?

Is Luke neutered and bonded with Snowflake? If so I wouldn't split them up.
Nor do I think you ought to let your uncle have them :? I know people who keep rabbits on allotments and i'm not convinced that they get the best care.... especially if he sees them as a possible breeding source. I wouldn't even entertain in helping someone like that obtain bunnies.

I wouldn't take Luke on if you can only keep him should he bond with your other four. If you can keep him seperately long term then go for it....but taking him on condition he will fit in with your other four is not advisable. If I were in your situation I would approach some rescues and see if they can take them. That way they will be neutered etc before hopefully being rehomed to good people. I hate the idea of rehoming un-neutered animals!

I wouldn't give them your uncle until you have had them neutered. He might not want them then anyway - & you need to consider if his set up would be fox proof.

I got 15 buns & it wasn't any harder than 5 by the time I got them into groups.

But if you thinking of taking on more - you need to think about what you are wanting from life in the future. If you can provide a loving committed home for the next 10-15 years, then go for it

Ive made a pretty big decison to stay at home for university because my mum warned me if i move away, the buns go with me and taking them round the country with me just isnt practical or fair
Im totally commited to my other 4 and wouldnt give them up for all the money and university places in the world :)
I just feel so awful incase Luke goes to someone who hasnt got an idea about the care he requires.
Im going to email the lady where i got Fletcher from because shes a really nice lady and she used to work for the RSPCA. So sad :(
No he isnt bonded with the other bunny and Luke isnt neutered.

Back