• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small Poo?

Hi, I am hoping someone on here can help.

I am currently fostering a adorable little house bunny. A couple of days ago I took her to the vets for a general health check and her first mixi jab.

Today I have noticed that her poo has changed and is small and sticky :?

Could this be from the mixi jab or could it be something more serious? She eats very little hay as it only used to be fed on rare occasions and her main diet was her dry mix. We have been trying to change her diet and encourage her to eat more hay and have also introduced veg, also previously fed as a treat so am also wondering if it could be the change of diet?

She is still eating her food and is still bouncing about causing mischief as before and her eyes are bright and nose dry, so no real obvious signs of illness.

Please could someone give me some advice as I would hate to think she is suffering in any way.

how long has she been with you as like with all new homes they get upset tums like bonding and bonded buns get honeymoon tummy. The change in diet may do it but as long as its very gradual she should improve.

however if theyre tiny poops and covered in something to make them sticky..id rush her off to the vet.

bif does still lookok but then shes quiet for a while and its stasis or gi slow down.....good old fibreplex helps her..a 2 day course..makes her poo more and they get a bit bigger too.

bandit came to us hating hay.the rescue had tried everything...when he first came downstairs and was investigated by the other buns he watched bif eat hos hay thru the bars..when they were first being bonded the very ifrst time..she ate hay in front of him and he waited and then had a go himself..he saw all the others etaing hay..even our two dimwit cats having a go an he joined in..now he eats more hay than bif!!!

mayube give small but varied pile sof hay and cut down the veggies right now...

i odnt know what to advise other than see the vet if in doubt..good luck.

If your bun is producing smaller poos than normal, it is a sign that there is a potential problem with their gut beginning, they could go into stasis or bloat if you cannot correct this.

Caught early enough as you have done by your excellent powers of observation you need to ensure that your bun gets lots of water and eats a very high fibre diet ... lots of hay with some grass dependent on if he is used to eating it. Cut back on the dry food to encourage a high fibre intake. 2mls of infacol may help and will not do any harm.

Keep your rabbit moving about.

If for any reason you have any question about whether these poos are getting fewer or if your bun is eating less. At the first signs of distended abdo, gas .. gurgling noises from abdomen it is imperative that they see a vet urgently.

Do not feed any high sugar foods such as carrots, apples etc as this can result in a gas build up in the stomach.

In the longer term you need to look at what you are feeding your rabbit and increase their fibre content by decreasing dried food and increasing hay consumption. If they are on a low fibre dried food, chaing them over to a higher fibre food over a period of 10 - 14 days.

If you have any concerns take them to see a vet.

Back