• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lailey not eating--UPDATE-its Stasis-another update-Friday 27th

jessiebuns

Warren Scout
Hi:wave: Lailey has stopped eating:cry: No idea why. Took her to vets this morning, I suspected back teeth but nope, apparently not. Gave me some Metoclopramide syrup and to wait and see untill Saturday. She's fine in herself, moving around etc so no gas or pain. She did eat some brown toast earlier but is unusually unenthusiastic about her veg, pellets and hay. Any ideas. No poops and hardly weeing. Saw her drink earlier. She had lost a tiny bit of weight.:cry:

Last edited:
leave her till saturday:shock::shock: im going through this with 2 of my bunnies and she,ll need to be seen tomorrow if she,s no better:cry:

Just read about your buns. Sending VIBES.

I know. She seems fine in herself but not eating. The vets mentioned blood work on Saturday. I'm checking her all the time and trying her with herbs but not interested. I'd like an X-ray too. I won't sleep tonight. Will take her again tomorrow. Just don't know what it could be.

Juliaxx

My Lay-Lay's still not eating. Whats better-Science recovery or Critical care in her case?? To ask for at vets. Vibes needed I think:(:(

I really hope she feels better soon :cry::cry: either science recovery or critical care you can syringe feed her with they are both the same i think.

One of my rabbits was like this at Christmas and she actually had a blockage, we think it may have been hair. Before syringe feeding anything your vet needs to confirm that there is no blockage or you could do more damage - this may involve an X-ray and can be done whilst awake (or at least mine did).

Is she taking plenty of fluids. Try adding some fresh pineapple juice into luke warm water to try and tempt her to take more fluid. Can you offer her some tepid water from a bowl (cold water with a dash of boiling), they sometimes prefer it from a bowl.

Try to get her moving around, it seems cruel but it is to be kind and try and get the gut moving.

I also found that Katy would not eat any normal veg/herbs I gave her so tried her with thyme. I think parsley is supposed to be good. My suggestion would to be to get anything to tempt her; grated carrot, kale, spring greens, any herb you can get your hands on.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Hi, she has a bowl anyway and has been drinking a bit:D She is moving around. Tried her with allsorts but she would only nibble some toast. I would always ask the vet first :D before giving any medication and will deffo be asking for an X-ray today. Thanks for replies.

Juliaxx

Spoke to vet on phone, she left me out some meds, picked them up this morning and saw the more rabbit savvy vet. She had lost one of hers to Stasis only last week:( Checked her again, listened to tummy, NO NOISE one side-not good, but slight noise on the other side. Could not feel any blockage in abdomen. She's not dehydrated which is a positive sign. And she seems bright. Gonna keep on tempting her with herbies and all sorts. Please, please eat for me my beautiful girl:love: Gonna keep on with the meds at home, if no improvement she will be kept at the vets for treatment:cry::cry:Feel distraught:cry::cry:

awwww hun i know how scary it is :(
just keep giving water and if she dont get better please get her admitted the fliuds by drip is what i really think saved alvin from stasis

sending loads of vibes xxxxx

Thanks all. Is it ok to puree up some carrot or similar and try to syringe feed?? Just a little.

Needing MEGA vibes:cry::cry:

Juliaxx

Sorry she has this, good news there does not seem to be a blockage. Try to get as much fluid into her as you can. Add some fresh pineapple juice to some water and try to syringe it regularly so you know she is getting some. Try to get her to move round some more too and keep her warm.

Have you tried grating some carrot?

Hope she starts eating for you soon.

Lailey ate a bit of coriander, some carrot tops and a bit of dandelion greens last night:D Felt much more positive. (whispers-I rang in sick so didn't go in to work last night) I tried her again at 4am but wasn't interested:( She's been moving around and taken all her meds ok this morning. Now my thing is she will need to be kept in at the vets if she's still not eating properly but do I send her with Porridge, her hus-bun and risk two stressed bunnies or keep him at home?? My heart says they need each other no matter what but I'd like advice on this please. Thanks.

Juliaxx

oh dear i hope she is feeling better soon

i think you did the right thing sending them together, hopefully they will keep each othe rcalm and it will make it less scary than being alone

Back