• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To Spay Or Not To Spay?

Should I get Moo spayed

• Total voters

drpengie

Wise Old Thumper
Moo had suspected pasturella when I got her. She had gunky snot, and a weepy eye. However she had been kept on woodshavings in the P@H adoption centre, so a few days without this and her eye was fine.

I put her on baytril for 4 weeks and the snuffles went totally, but as soon as I stopped with it they came back. I have now tried her on benadryl each morning and she seems OK. She does sneeze, but mainly when she sticks her head in her hay basket.

Now she is probably 6 months old or maybe more and she is getting a little bitey and hormonal. I have asked the vet about spaying her as I have a lovely husbun in the house waiting for her. The vet said there was an increased risk during the GA due to if she had pasturella she may have pulmonary something or other! I suggested putting her on baytril before the op to get rid of any snuffles symptoms.

What do I do? Do I get her spayed and have the increased risk (bare in mind it might not have been pasturella) or do I not have her done and risk her developing uterine cancer? :(

I just don't know what to do. what would you do and is there anything I can do to reduce the risk during the GA?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I have never speyed rabbits until this year, however after losing Bertha to uterine cancer this year and finding how common it is, I am in the process of having the rest of my girls done. I've never really had agressive girls, which is why I've never thought about it before, but from now on they will all be done.

If you do decide to go for it, its better to get it done younger rather than older, and it safer if they aren't overweight. I guess you just have to make sure your vet is very careful and aware of her condition, pre-op bloods might be an idea, to make sure she is as healthy as possible.

I've got a snuffly bun whose had 2 dentals under GA with no problems. our vet was aware of his condition and managed the procedure accordingly. I think they just kept a more careful eye on him. However, I don't know the time "under" for a spey vs a dental.

A course of baytril/ any other may be a good idea but I'd go with what your vet advises, but if possible spey if you can.

Personally I still would - but I would have blood tests first to see how the GA will go.

Editted to add, Before the spay I would panacur for 6 weeks

My snuffles bun has been under GA loads of times without any problems, even during a particularly bad bout of wheezing caused by congested lungs.

I think I'd get her spayed, but only by a vet I trusted 100%.

Amy

Bobbie had severe Snuffles and then Pneumonia. When she finally recovered and regained her strength (she had given birth twice within 4 weeks whilst severely ill with the respiratory infection :cry: ) Bobbie was spayed and was fine under GA. Although her recovery from the spay was quite slow. That may not have been entirely due to her previous infection but also due to all she had been through in the preceeding months.

Like you I agonised over getting her spayed. I cancelled the op' 3 times before finally going ahead with it. I certainly think putting Moo onto Baytril for at least a week before the spay would be a good idea. Also ask the Vet what GA drugs he/she uses. Some have more of an impact on the Respiratory system than others.

Janex

I still would. My pasteurella bun had to have a GA for a dental whilst her symptoms were quite severe but we were being backed into a catch-22 situation with little option. The one thing I would check is that her chest is not congested....if the infection has movd into her lungs I would hold off until it improves but if it is upper then I think maybe give her a good long course of Baytril (alongside pro-b's) and then get her speyed.

I had a bun with lung scarring from pneumonia go under a GA and she suprisingly sailed through it but it was a decision I thought long and hard about.....she had done well just to survive the pneumonia.

Thanks guys for all your answers. I have booked her in for 3 weeks time. I will get some pro biotics as well to give her an extra boost - ps where can I buy these on line?

I will be worried sick on the day.

I think the vet was just warning me of the added risks with Moo, but although I need to know this info it's not what you want to hear really is it?

Yes, I agree because practically all does go on to develop uterine cancer it seems at some point of their lives probably because they are such rapid breeders making them very fertile animals and by the time you notice the symptoms of it the cancer will have spread and there will be nothing you can do. In my opinion, and its only my opinion;) all does should be spayed, its the responsible thing to do for our buns and as others have said, her chances are good under GA.:)

My Fudge has a chest infection and is underweight due to teeth problems and even at 5 years old she came through her dental there on Monday and has been in great form, so although delicate creatures, if in the right hands, they can come through more than you'd think!:D

I vote yes if you fully trust your vet and they are sure that every precaution possible has been taken and are confident. If your vet is uncertain then I would seek the advice of a good bunny vet even if it is out of your usual area.

Wishing you luck whichever decision you make,
Maria x

Back