• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely Bunny

MarilynM

New Kit
One of my bunnies sadly passed away peacefully last night. :(

I'm not sure whether I can do anything to help Bertie, who is left behind. They were both 14 years old and have been together for at least the 12 years that they have been with me, and I suspect for most of their lives.

I think he is too old to find another friend now, he is a bit frail, although rather randy most of the time :roll: I can't imagine that he will be with us for much longer anyway.

He is eating and drinking, so I'm not worried about him health-wise, but he is on his own in the run all day and in the hutch at night. We let him out in the evening in the garden, or in the house if it's cold so we can keep him company and make a fuss of him.

Is there anything else I could/should do to help him adjust to being an 'only' bunny?

O bless his heart.
That is amazing for a bunny though, good job :)

I would say he has had a happy life, let him live it :) You have done the best you can and by the sounds of it he has enjoyed it.

Show him lots of love :love:

Wow that's an old bunny! They must have been looked after really well.

Maybe you could see if the local rescue have any old bunnies also? I don't think there is any harm in trying a bond, he might enjoy a companion to laze around with.

Maybe you could get him a toy friend, so that he doesn't feel totally lonely, and as something for him to -uhm- do whilst you're not around.

So sorry for your loss :cry: He sounds like he is a very spoilt bunny anyway so I'm sure he'll be fine. Lots of extra cuggles will help I'm sure :love:

so sorry on yours and berties loss....binky free bunster!

have you thought about makng bertie a house bunny if you dont think he would bond with antoher bunny....i think the teddy idea is fab-fudge has had a snuggle binky bear since he moved into the palace as a wee one and this bear now goes EVERYWHERE!

He is quite destructive in the house, but we have considered the option of having him indoors full-time if he gets really miserable. He will probably have to be indoors in the winter anyway (if we still have him), as he lost a lot of weight last winter.

I will find a toy friend for him and see what he does to/with it for the time being. I'm relieved that he hasn't stopped eating though.

Thank you for the suggestions, and the lovely comments.

Back