• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DIY Dunce Needs Help with Runs..

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
It's looking increasing likely that I am eventually going to have to make a set of cutom sized runs for my garden due to the fact that most of it is now shingle and not suitable for bunny paws.

Not being able to drive is going to cause a major issue with materials so:
1. Is there a company that will deliver timber?
2. Is there a company that will cut it to the required sizes for you?
3. Does anyone know of any basic plans for building runs that can be viewed online or should I just put some time aside and do my own?
4. What mesh does everyone use?

its much cheaper if u know someone who can get you cheap wood, but if you cant then places like travis perkins, focus etc do deliver.

I found going to small independant shops, like bird shops have the cheapest mesh as they use it to make avairys, also places like that often have mesh panels available to buy seperately, if you needed to make one quickly.

ill see if i have some photos of the one i made :shock:

I can

a) give you a lift to B&Q!
b) show you how to built it
c) help you built it and lend you the saw!!!

They are really easy to build and mine are very sturdy. I use the galvanised wire from B&Q its about £20 for a role which did a 6x3ft run all 4 sides plus lid. and I think the wood for it was about £40 but not sure on that one. Let me know if you want a lift any time cheaper than getting it delivered :)

helen x

I can

a) give you a lift to B&Q!
b) show you how to built it
c) help you built it and lend you the saw!!!

They are really easy to build and mine are very sturdy. I use the galvanised wire from B&Q its about £20 for a role which did a 6x3ft run all 4 sides plus lid. and I think the wood for it was about £40 but not sure on that one. Let me know if you want a lift any time cheaper than getting it delivered :)

helen x

Thnks Helen that sounds fab :thumb: They are going to be silly sizes because I only have a little section of concrete to put them on....going to measure properly later but likely 3ft wide by 5ft long.

I am wondering if I can dismantle my 6ft run and use bits of that too :?

Sorry I can't help much but I would use weld mesh as most other mesh isn't very strong :) (i'm sure you already know that :lol: )

Sorry I can't help much but I would use weld mesh as most other mesh isn't very strong :) (i'm sure you already know that :lol: )

I've used galvanised mesh before but the sizes were awkward...I need to find a decent sized roll of the stuff.

Thnks Helen that sounds fab :thumb: They are going to be silly sizes because I only have a little section of concrete to put them on....going to measure properly later but likely 3ft wide by 5ft long.

I am wondering if I can dismantle my 6ft run and use bits of that too :?

my mum started making a run for my neices rabbit as it is falling apart, and she started dismantling the old run and then re used the mesh! i laughed at her but it actually turned out pretty well.

If you can afford it, I would definately get a nail gun for attaching the mesh to the wood.

I bought this one from an online store:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7016183/Trail/searchtext%3ESTAPLE+GUN.htm
and it's a LOT easier than hammering in staples individually (plus a lot less painful because you don't hit your own fingers).

Oh... but where's the fun in that?? It's so much more enjoyable to bash you fingers and thumbs with the hammper!

Putting on the netting is my least favourite part of run making!

Good luck :D

Hannah

No I just bang them in with a hammer it doesn't take long and I'm good at not bashing my fingers (have hit sean's before tho :lol:). I put lots of big staples in and then I have a normal staple gun to put any additional ones in.

I'm not doing anything this sunday if thats any good for you?

helen x

No I just bang them in with a hammer it doesn't take long and I'm good at not bashing my fingers (have hit sean's before tho :lol:). I put lots of big staples in and then I have a normal staple gun to put any additional ones in.

I'm not doing anything this sunday if thats any good for you?

helen x

It probably wont be for a couple of weeks, I need to chat to the landscapers to make sure they have finished round the back & the double glazing needs to be done first due to positioning too.

I will check my measurements this afternoon to see how big I can get them.

Ok well let me know. I'm usually free tues pms, sat pms and sundays.

And people are right nailing the wire on is the worst job but hey ho!!

Helen x

Back