• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - metacam overdose?? UPDATE - he's OK.

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Oh :censored::censored: - ALWAYS read the information more than once. Just given my boy (weight 2.9kg) 1ml of metacam and 1ml Infacol after reading one of the posts on here - he's not eating this morning. I'm such a muppet - didn't realise that what I was reading was the dosage for CAT metacam. I've just given DOG metacam which I now realise is stronger. Should I go to the vet immediately - I'm going to phone them as soon as they open? Is 1ml for a 2.9kg bun a huge overdose? I'm really frightened.

Last edited:
Thanks - that's the post I was reading. However, what I didn't realise was Jane's post related to CAT metacam which is weaker than dog metacam. I'm just about to ring the vet.

i think its 1.5mg/ml in the dogs one and if you only gave 1ml its still under the maximum amount.

hope hes ok hun xxx

Thanks for your help. I've just spoken to the receptionist at the vet. As soon as the vet is 'between clients' she's going to speak to her and give me a call back. I'm such a bad mummy - boy do I feel bad.

awww hunny dont feel bad. your vet should have told you the correct dosage so you didnt have to come looking on forums for it.

glad hes phoning back, should be able to ease your mind better than some inexperianced gal on a forum.

ill just concentrate on non overdose vibes for your little lad xxxx

Thanks - I really appreciate your help on this one. Vet's just phoned back - bun should be fine but no more metacam until Saturday! Would have been problem if he'd been a cat as they don't tolerate it well and could go into renal failure but buns seem to cope OK. Vet said he should have had 0.38ml. I must point out that this is not my vets fault. He's never prescribed metacam to my buns - I've already got it at home for an arthritic dog. So it was totally my fault for giving too much. I won't be doing that again in a hurry. Am at work at the moment but will be home at lunchtime to check on him and make sure he's eating again etc. Fortunately have a vet appoint tomorrow morning anyway so can get him thoroughly checked over then.

The maximum dosage he can have of dog metacam for his weight is 0.98ml.. depending on severity of pain. 1 ml won't hurt him and if he needs pain relief tomorrow don't make him wait until Saturday :? Not sure why your vet said that.

Thanks Charlie82. That makes me feel much happier knowing that I didn't overdose him by loads. I'll still be happier when I can go home in half an hour and check him. Mind you, when I left him at 7.15 this morning, he had the raging hump having been put in a dog cage within the shed so at least he wasn't sat quietly in a corner looking ill. His sister didn't help by sticking her nose through the bars saying "why are you in there?" If he's pooed and nibbled something by lunchtime, I'll let him out.

Been home at lunchtime - he's absolutely fine! Peeing and pooing, eating and looking :censored:-off with me! I think his sister's been trying to dig him out of the puppy cage because there's Megazorb EVERYWHERE! Let him out of the cage and he's bouncing around the garden as if there was never anything wrong. Mind you, perhaps he's 'high' on all that Metacam :lol:. Thanks for all your help everyone - much appreciated.

Been home at lunchtime - he's absolutely fine! Peeing and pooing, eating and looking :censored:-off with me! I think his sister's been trying to dig him out of the puppy cage because there's Megazorb EVERYWHERE! Let him out of the cage and he's bouncing around the garden as if there was never anything wrong. Mind you, perhaps he's 'high' on all that Metacam :lol:. Thanks for all your help everyone - much appreciated.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: watch him he might start stealin from you to fund his habit :shock:

Back