• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flemish Giants

fireworks

Young Bun
Hi everyone! :wave:

I haven't really posted much but I have some questions... Note: I don't yet have these 2 bunnies, but I think I'm rescuing a Flemish Giant and another bunny, I just have questions.

1. Can Flemish Giants live with smaller bunnies?

2. How much food should they get a day? And if I have a smaller bunny living with the Flemish Giant, would the Flemish Giant eat all the smaller bunny's food?

3. Should I separate them to eat their pellets? (I know hay should be unlimited!)

4. Is a fairly large room with lots of sunlight good enough as a home for these 2 bunnies? There are no electrical cords or anything. (I would also take them outside to eat grass and such, but they will live in this room. Also it's connected to another room that they will be able to hop around sometimes as well.)

5. Could I use fleece blankets as a flooring for the room they will live in? Or is newspaper better? Or towels? I can use any of those. (If you have other options, please tell me!)

6. Lastly, is there anything I should know about keeping a Flemish Giant? I already have 2 dwarfs (the dwarfs won't be living with the Flemish) so I know basic care of rabbits but is there anything different for the Flemish?

I think that's it, I'll probably come up with more questions though.

Thanks!! :D

Hi :wave:

Dependant on the temperment of the Flemish, it should get on fine with a smaller rabbit - although you will need to pay very close attention during bonding because a well placed kick could hurt them!

I have mine bonded with a french lop. What breed is your smaller bunny you wish to bond it with?

As for flooring, if it is laminate I would put down some towels, or even mats or rugs to stop them slipping, otherwise I wouldn't worry.
THey are easily litter trained so you shouldn't get mess on the floor anyway. :)

If you give them 2 seperate bowls then they shouldn't eat each others food, but you would just have to wait and see really.
I feed my Flemish about 3/4 of a cup of pellets over the day - half in the morning and half at night, plus dandelions, hay, grass, plantain and some veg.

They do need a lot of space though, and love to play in the garden. :) The room sounds ok for them to live in, so long as they get a few hours of exercise per day. :)

I hope this answers your questions, but feel free to ask more. :)

I have a french lop that lives with a little lop cross lion head and they love eachother. Heres a pic of them in there cage were I keep them when I am cleaning.
7112007230.jpg

they are still only babies at the moment. hope you like the pic.

Thank you!

We are getting them both from a rescue, and the lady that runs to rescue will bond them for me, I won't have to do it myself. She says sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, so we will see... The Flemish is a 7 month old girl and the other bunny is a 2 year old girl "New Zealand." (Is New Zealand a breed?) If it's not here's a picture of the bunny I wish to bond the Flemish to:

picture1we4.png

Yes, I will open the doors to the room during the day. There's the room they will live in, then a room connected, then 2 rooms connected to that room so they will have lots of playtime during the day, plus outside time. And we have a fenced in garden that would be great. :)

And kelly-joy that picture is SO cute! Your bunnies are adorable! :love:

A New Zealand White is a breed, yes. They are fairly large anyway so you shouldn't have any problems keeping them together. :)

Newspaper is poisonous

Apparently - the ink on newspaper is poinonous. I always use sawdust and straw. My rabbits have always nibbled the sawdust, never caused a problem. Recently started using wood pellets (for cats) under straw too, works well.
Saying that, I had bun when I was little, never had vaccinations (dont know if they existed) and always had newspaper, she died aged 12!!! I think she was a one off!

Size matters

You wont know about feeding until you try. I had a dwarf dutch lived with two average sized buns and she never had any trouble. I've had 7 rabbits total and never known a rabbit empty its bowl in one session so the other(s) can always come back later. They've always shared bowls too.

Ok, thanks!

I think I'll put towels/rugs in part of the room and leave the other part bare. :)

We'll see what happens with feeding. Thanks!

also be aware that giants can suffer more with joint/heart and health probs due to thier size and also dont tend to live as long as the smaller breeds:cry:

New Zealand's are big bunnies too!! :D

Girls can be trickier to bond so if it doesn't work out you may need to try a neutered male instead.

Aww that's sad Raven Rexes. I hate when pets die but all living things die at one point... :(

If the Flemish doesn't work with the New Zealand I wouldn't know which one to get with another bunny. I love them both so much. And they both have the best personalities. So friendly! But we shall see... and hope for the best.. :D

If they are both spayed, would that help with bonding? I know the New Zealand is spayed, but the Flemish just got to the rescue so I'm not sure if she's spayed yet or not...

Thanks for your replies!

Back