• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Front teeth extraction - advice please

MajorTom

New Kit
I'd really like to hear from anyone who has experience with dental buns.

I'm looking to have my girlie buns front teeth removed in a couple of weeks, she also has problems with her back teeth and the vet described them as stepped. She is a bony little girl although according to the vet not underweight, I'm trying to get a bit of weight on her in case she can't eat too well for a few days after the op.

How well/quickly did your bun recover from the op?
How soon were they able to eat?
What sort of food were they able to eat initially?
Did they loose much weight?
If they also had back teeth problems did the front teeth extraction help with this?
If the bun was up for rehoming, did the front teeth extraction put people off wanting them?

Anything you can share will be greatly appreciated, thanks, Tracey

my frenchlop pierre has had his front 6 teeth removed and underwent a third GA about a month ago to remove spurs from his molars. he recovered from the first 2 operations withina few days (from the third its only been the last week or so that he has really been himself again. he does not respond particularly well to GA)
to start with i fed him soaked pellets and grated veg with shredded herbs. i also offered small amounts of baby food.
(i found pain reief extremely important in helping him regain his appatite)
in all 3 cases weightloss was about 100g

my first bun was a dental bun and one day her drinking bottle flipped up from its holder..or maybe she pulled it up..il never know but she loosened a tooth and they both grew crooked and in the end had to be removed along with the bototm ones to even it up. it never did anything for her back teeth...her molars never really met....she had loadsa probs but i loved her dearly and she did me...
she never was able to chew my daughters posters ever again but se used to suck the edges to prove apoint!

she was given prepulsid to come home with but they dont do that anymore itd be metaclopramide..if they dont offer it insist on it..and metacam or rimadyl......youll need lots of syringes..rabbit recovery etc and what saved her..babay food..hipp organic pear and apple pudding she adored it.
she was very very poorly more than with any dental....the ga took a ocuple of days to shift from her system..i was wrapping her in a towel and blanket and had her in my arsm asleep on my lap too to keep her warm for hours..she didnt want to get off. i put hot water bottles next to her plastic based cage..a lot of blankets and made her a nest in there...and her toy cow which she adored. and her other 2 cuddly toys to make her feel safe. oh and they gave her antibiotics too.

hence i now give all my buns earthenware water bowls;)

patience and a calm atmosphere with lots of tlc and their meds etc is all i can say helps. btw she went on to live another 6 months after that but her teeth needed doing again at back like they did every month and vet said kinder to put her to sleep.
she did have elongagted tooth roots i know i know that now..cos her eyes and she also had ear infections and none of it would clear up.

she taught me a lot and especially how to nurse a bunthru gi stasis overcoming a ga and how to cope with dental probs recognise them etc.

be patient and take one day at a time...sometimes the front teeth affect them eating as its painful etc and they dont grind their fod liek they should..sometimes their spurs just occurr and soemtimes they do get jagged teeth surfaces no matter what..bif has had this..weird but her teeth didnt need a dental for a year this time..shes had several at old vets as they didnt do both sides to even them up..our vet does..not sure about the locum vet this time tho but she seems fine..once she had to have a dental 2 and ahalf weeks after the one she had at old practice..theyd done the wrong side and so she ended up with big spurs on wrong side a few little ones on the right side :evil:

Back