• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do i tell him the sofa isn't a toilet?!!

Lauralou

Warren Veteran
Everytime Carlton gets the urge to make a pile of poops, he gets on his sofa to let rip, I obviously start panicking that he'll end up peeing and i have to spend aaages shooing him off the sofa over and over while he tries to pop out his pellets on the sofa. :roll:

How can i teach him that poops go in the potty?! i put them all in his "out of crate" potty but he just doesn't get it!

i'd leave him to it and just sweep them up but i know he'll end up peeing! if i put down my binbag/towel contraption, he sees it as an open invitation to pee as much as he can in as little time as he can!

he knows the command "NO" but only from Ryan, he doesn't listen to, i'm a wuss! :lol:

am i destined to a life of rabbit/sofa panic or is there anything i can do to encourage him to go in his hay filled potty?!

I can be of no help at all as I have a wee soaked sofabed that is destined for the tip any day soon - so not really sure why I am replying :oops:

:lol: :lol:

I can be of no help at all as I have a wee soaked sofabed that is destined for the tip any day soon - so not really sure why I am replying :oops:

:lol: :lol:

:lol::lol: you need the binbag/towel contraption! makes my life so much easier when it comes to pee!

I can't help either - when Herbie and the girls lived in the conservatory they weed and pooped everywhere. The carpet cannot be saved :(

Interestingly, now they have homes of their own outdoors they wee 99.9% of the time in their trays and are pretty good about pooping too :? Guess they are only house proud in their own houses!

We had this problem with Joey when he was indoors, right ontop of the sofa...he prefered while we were watching one of our favourite programmes...then fire, right on our heads:roll::lol: We learned to live with it. He only pee'd once when he was a baby, we gave him a telling off and put it in the tray and he didnt do it since

Sorry cant be of much help, we never found the solution. A boy thing maybe? Our Lunas everso neat

Good luck

We had this problem with Joey when he was indoors, right ontop of the sofa...he prefered while we were watching one of our favourite programmes...then fire, right on our heads:roll::lol: We learned to live with it. He only pee'd once when he was a baby, we gave him a telling off and put it in the tray and he didnt do it since

Sorry cant be of much help, we never found the solution. A boy thing maybe? Our Lunas everso neat

Good luck

hopefully a lady might teach how to go peepee properly.

to be honest, i'm tempted to let him pee on ryan right now, he is so drunk it's not even funny, i'm fuming!

Have you tried a litter tray? Not quite as inventive as a binbag/towel contraption I admit :lol: If he swaps to it you might then be able to gradually shift it to a better spot.

Have you tried a litter tray? Not quite as inventive as a binbag/towel contraption I admit :lol: If he swaps to it you might then be able to gradually shift it to a better spot.

i might give that a whirl tomorrow, thanks. i can imagine he'll just look at it and then continue to poop on the sofa! :lol:

you just need to litter train him hun... back to basics i think.. small living area with a litter tray, when he picks a spot (which probably wont be the litter tray) move it to that place and keep him locked in until he uses the litter tray as first choice. then let him have free run again but with litter trays about the house... its the only thing i can think of.

Alvin was litter trained from the start but theres still territory poops about the cage each morning when i let them out. never had to worry about sofa peeing tho :D

our woozle used to poo all over the settee..never the chairs and he peed all over it at every chance he got! he never peed or pooped on the carpet..only the settee and in his cage..the litter tray.

we worked out why he did it...visitors would always sit on the settee....and he wanted them to know he was boss in thehouse even of the cats which of course he wasnt....poor woozle delusional bunny:lol:
also my eldelry mum has a little bladder probs and although not incontinent i guess he could sniff it out if you know what i mena..even tho she never smelt or anything but buns cansniff things out so much....and apparently buns are attracted to the smell of human wee and will wee there too:shock:

also our cat had kindey rpobs so she did niff a little when shed gone for a week and liked to sleep onthe settee chairs etc...but now ee smell or stains.

hes the only bun ive ever had that used my settee or anything else come to that as a loo:lol:

willow and bertie when jealous of the littlies will invade that end of the lounge and pee where they can and willows speicality is peeing on places she can smell buns or where she knows we sit..ie my armchair..the settee where nkki has her day bed.....and shell leave a few poops there too but not many.

mmmaybe carlton wants mummy all to himself and your oh is a male big bun on his patch:lol::lol:

you just need to litter train him hun... back to basics i think.. small living area with a litter tray, when he picks a spot (which probably wont be the litter tray) move it to that place and keep him locked in until he uses the litter tray as first choice. then let him have free run again but with litter trays about the house... its the only thing i can think of.

Alvin was litter trained from the start but theres still territory poops about the cage each morning when i let them out. never had to worry about sofa peeing tho :D

right, i want to swap Carlton for Alvin if he doesn't pee on the sofa! :lol: he is going to be so mad if i pen him off but i might give that a try too. he's fine peeing in the litter tray, he doesn't go anywhere else, apart from on the sofa if he gets the chance!

silly bunneh!

It's easy, same way I tell my buns not to pee at the corner of my bed.

1) You put a thick towel on the very spot of the sofa that your bun pee

2) When that towel has a few pee of urine on it, put it at a corner of a room that you can clean (it must be in a corner), then many times a day, put your bun on that corner where he would sit on the towel. That way, he knows that's his spot

3) for the time being, you continue to put a towel on the very spot of that sofa

Eventually, your bun should pee at that new corner spot. Now, on rare occasion, there can be false alarm that he pee back on the sofa. Just clean the spot so there is no urine smell

right, i want to swap Carlton for Alvin if he doesn't pee on the sofa! :lol: he is going to be so mad if i pen him off but i might give that a try too. he's fine peeing in the litter tray, he doesn't go anywhere else, apart from on the sofa if he gets the chance!

silly bunneh!

hehe alvin dont even get on the sofa... what you need then is a big dog taking all the space so carlton stays on the floor :lol::lol::lol:

what about using one of those padded waterproof mattress covers biggest size and use it a throwover?

lol at nappy idea...think ill try that with bertie..he poops even in his sleep:lol:

It's easy, same way I tell my buns not to pee at the corner of my bed.

1) You put a thick towel on the very spot of the sofa that your bun pee

2) When that towel has a few pee of urine on it, put it at a corner of a room that you can clean (it must be in a corner), then many times a day, put your bun on that corner where he would sit on the towel. That way, he knows that's his spot

3) for the time being, you continue to put a towel on the very spot of that sofa

Eventually, your bun should pee at that new corner spot. Now, on rare occasion, there can be false alarm that he pee back on the sofa. Just clean the spot so there is no urine smell

i *sort of* do that now. i have a binbag/towel combo on the sofa so i don't have to scrub and wash the sofa but i'm sure he actually sees the towel as more of an incentive to go pee on it. :? if he gets on the sofa, i pick him up and put him in his tray.... but he'll get out and get on the sofa again in 30 seconds! monster!! :lol:

I feel for you Laura, I have the same problem with Dodge.
We have the problem of him weeing on the chair and the sofa, I even tried putting a litter tray on the sofa. He used the litter tray when it was on the sofa but as soon as I start to move it, its back to sofa weeing. :censored: He's at the point now where he doesn't care who is in the way......my poor dog sits on the chair and is piddled on often:(

I have the same problem with rugs.... as soon as I put a rug down they pee and poo all over it....and around it - once moved they go back to using the tray - what is that about !!!! :lol::lol:

gumpy used to wee and poo all the time on my sofa, but it isnt so bad as irts leather but since his neutering he just doesnt do it anymore ive also tried teaching him that the sofa is out of bounds but he doesnt listen

Back