• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I get Speckle to eat hay??!!

nic-nac89

Young Bun
Since stuffing it into his mouth isn't really an option I'm kinda stuffed...he's never really taken to hay :( any suggestions?

How much dried food does your rabbit eat?

The best way to get rabbits to eat hay is to slowly decrease the amount of pellets that they eat until they start eating in. Rabbits only need a tiny amount of pellets each and many will not eat hay if they have been brought up on a lot of dried food.

Umm he gets about half a bowl of dried food a day. Think I caught him having a little nibble on some hay earlier so fingers crossed :lol: I've put it in lots of places he likes to go to try to encourage him too.

Some bunnies are really fussy with their hay! :lol:

Where do you get yours from? Some pet shop hays aren't great quality, so a lot of people on here buy hay from The Hay Experts and
Dust Free Hay and find it really good. The Hay Experts do little sample bags so your bun can try them first :)

Oooh, I'm in Ayrshire too! :wave:

Oooooh hi! :wave: :D
Umm pets at home...I used to give him alfalfa hay but I changed to timothy hay a couple of days ago after reading that it's better for them.

I find my buns don't eat the alfafa hay, although according to some website's bunnies love it.

I find the hay at PAH isn't as good quality and the bunnies don't eat as much as another garden/pet shop hay near me.

best to get something that looks fresh, is dust extracted and isn't chopped up too small (I find the PAH hay is too short)

Might be worth shopping around then! Had a nosey at the hay experts site...the wee samples are a great idea!

Back