• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another Rescue Closing

This is so sad. Not just for this particular rescue and the bunnies that it won't be able to help, but for all bunnies in this country. Over the last few months there have been so many good people who have had to make the unenviable decision to stop being rescues.

Apart from the obvious financial issues associated to rescues run by individuals with no assistance except from volunteers and fundraising, it has to be due to the shear inability to carry on banging your head on a brick wall. Plus, 100% commitment, leaving no time for yourselves or your families.

I am so sad to hear about all of the rescues who have had to make this decision and just hope that at some point in the very near future, something will be done to stop the over-breeding and unacceptable treatment given to buns that means that rescues are necessary.

I'd also like to raise a glass (any excuse) to those who have done so much for bunnies in rescues and to those who are currently able to continue to do so.

To the rescuers!!!

Helen :(

Thats really sad, you can tell they adore their rabbits. We need more people like that in rescue not leaving :cry: I'm sure it's not a decision taken lightly. I wonder if pets at home will take any responsibility for the extra pressure added to these type of rescues? I assume many of their cases came from them due to their opening lines on the website :roll:

it is sad...
I think sometimes it all just gets overwhelming...the numbers now being dumped are ridiculous and the head and brick wall syndrome really kicks in sometimes :cry:

and as Duchess says..it is a 24 hour 7 day a week, unpaid job..emotionally draining most of the time and as for finances..well:cry::cry:
Also, when we are fundraising we get such silly comments regarding rabbits..It was much easier to get support when I worked with rescue dogs

Lets hope the rescues left can continue.
(.Kay you could be a giant sanctuary..although I suppose you are already really:lol:)

Last edited:
This is so worrying...... I am really saddened that they are closing. I wish I could do soemthing.. I am worried for all the buns out there.

it is sad...
I think sometimes it all just gets overwhelming...the numbers now being dumped are ridiculous and the head and brick wall syndrome really kicks in sometimes :cry:

and as Duchess says..it is a 24 hour 7 day a week, unpaid job..emotionally draining most of the time and as for finances..well:cry::cry:
Also, when we are fundraising we get such silly comments regarding rabbits..It was much easier to get support when I worked with rescue dogs

Lets hope the rescues left can continue.
(.Kay you could be a giant sanctuary..although I suppose you are already really:lol:)

Is it getting worse? It seems really bad at the min - I'm not evening fostering but I'm 7 buns up at the minute & in about 15 mins will be involved in TWO RSPCA cases:(

Is it getting worse? It seems really bad at the min - I'm not evening fostering but I'm 7 buns up at the minute & in about 15 mins will be involved in TWO RSPCA cases:(

I think ..like everything else, smaller pets have now become seen as a "thing" to acquire like a new toy or piece of furniture. The "We must have it all" culture is not doing pets any favours..

When I was little..a long time ago:oops:..I lived in a street of approx 120 houses..only two people on that street owned a dog.( because you didn't see dogs everywhere they were quite celebrities..I can even remember their names Trixie and Coco!) ...can't remember any cats and a very few of the children..me included... had smaller pets..
if you take a road with that number of homes today the majority would have multiple pets:(

In our little cul-de-sac of 10 houses..if you count out my rescue bunnies..there are 5 dogs 5 cats 4 rabbits 4 guinea pigs a cockateil and numerous fish

Animals are now status symbols..something to add to the kids "want" demands...or just another item on the shopping list..changed with the fashion..or the weather..
"lets get a dog. and a large rabbit and a tortoise.......oh now lets get rid of the rabbit and the dog cos I'd like a cat instead this month!":evil::cry:

Last edited:
This is so worrying...... I am really saddened that they are closing. I wish I could do soemthing.. I am worried for all the buns out there.

Perhaps if we all did something as simple as sending some encouraging words to rescues that are a bit less heard of, finding some who aren't on RU and pointing them this way for support, or even a simple public "Thanks for your hard work" would help some rescues when they're feeling a bit downhearted and overwhelmed with it all? I'd love to help lots of rescues out with donations but I can't afford to so I'm trying to do my bit with what I can afford, or things I can do for free like making.
So many rescues slog away for the rabbits, waking up to a nice email from a stranger expressing how grateful they are that the rescue exists might bring a smile to their face at the end of a tough week. It's all too easy to criticise people these days, I can understand how rescues can get a bit cynical with all they deal with, but being nice doesn't cost anything and could help encourage a rescue to go on helping many more buns :)
Raising awareness will help a great deal too, there are several rescues on here we all know about through the forum but perhaps it's the little ones that need our support just as much - every rescue has to start somewhere and the more support they get, the more they can improve and help more buns :)

Thats really sad, you can tell they adore their rabbits. We need more people like that in rescue not leaving :cry: I'm sure it's not a decision taken lightly. I wonder if pets at home will take any responsibility for the extra pressure added to these type of rescues? I assume many of their cases came from them due to their opening lines on the website :roll:

They won't give a :censored: will they :evil:

Its so sad :(

It is really sad when we hear another rescue is closing down, as I think it brings it home to all us rescues how much we really need the financial and emotional support from each other and the general public. The rescues that are on this forum are lucky in the respect that we get emotional andsupport from each other and the help that all forum members participate in for us.

It is really sad when we hear another rescue is closing down, as I think it brings it home to all us rescues how much we really need the financial and emotional support from each other and the general public. The rescues that are on this forum are lucky in the respect that we get emotional andsupport from each other and the help that all forum members participate in for us.

Yup, good job we all stick together - last thing you need is your peers causing problems when you're all in it for the same cause!

Back