• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The book behind Watership Down

JayUK

Mama Doe
:wave: When we were on hols, Paul was reading Watership Down, and reading it to me which, and I'd forgotten just how much information there is about the rabbits state of being in there. I've learnt so much!
In his 1974 edition, Richard Adams credits R.M. Lockley's "The Private Life of the Rabbit" as the inspiration and factual element of the book. I started looking around, as you do, and on Wikki, it said that this was only mentioned in the 74 edition, so I didn't know if it was a well known acknowledgement or not. R.M. Lockley turns out to have bought this island and built a warren to watch rabbits underground, and wrote over 50 books on wildlife and animals.

There's info about him on this site which gives a bigger picture and has some kool Bunny facts as well, make sure you go onto the second page.

So then I went to Amazon, who haven't got it in stock, but did have 2 reviews, the first of which is really quite scathing, but very well written.

Sooo, has anyone read it and could give me an opinion on it? Thanks :D

I've read it :) It's got some fascinating bits on rabbit behaviour but that first review is fairly accurate - there are some things in it that would definitely upset rabbit lovers where they experiment to create situations that cause stress and disruption to the warrens they've created.

Tam

I've read it :) It's got some fascinating bits on rabbit behaviour but that first review is fairly accurate - there are some things in it that would definitely upset rabbit lovers where they experiment to create situations that cause stress and disruption to the warrens they've created.

Tam

Thanks Tamsin, what an interesting conundrum it presents; without the experiments, we may not know what we now know, but at the cost of the rabbits being manipulated and distressed to get that information. Then someone uses it to write a magnificent book that reaches millions of people so educates them about Rabbits and wildlife.
mmmmm.....:roll:

Watership down was my very first book.My mum bought it for me when i was 7 and our teacher read it to us at a similar time.Was taken to see the film when it first came out.i owe my love for rabbits to this book.

Tam

Are you talking about watership Down or this other author-sorry,got abit lost!!:lol:

If you're keen on reading it Jay (even after the Amazon review :?), you should find a copy here.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=r+m+lockley&sts=t&tn=private+life&x=54&y=6

They're good (Abe Books), it's lots of independent booksellers under an "umbrella" and I've bought/got many books over the last few years.

Neil

Thanks Neil, I'll order it, I've found the snippets in Watership Down really interesting, and will explore abe as well :thumb:

Sorry for the confusion Willowholly, was asking if anyone has read 'The private life of the rabbit' :)

Last edited:
Back