• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maxolon

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:

I have a prescription for maxolon from my vets to keep in handy. I have rang up boots the chemist and they say it's £6.75 for 200ml is that about the going rate then? To be honest I thought it would it more expensive then that, there is quita bit in a 200ml bottle :shock:

i asked my vet today about getting a bottle..maybe i should have asked for a prescription instead:?

its a prescription only drug isnt it?

Isn't £6.75 the cost for all prescriptions to be filled on the NHS? Im sure when I got Trimethoprim from Boots I had to pay the private rate e.g. non-NHS which was the actual cost of the product.

I didn't know that was how much a prescription was, it's been so long back since I had one, but you're probably right. I did say the prescription was from the vets, she was either not listening to me or got it way wrong, I did think it was a bit cheap.

Purplebumble, I think it would be loads cheaper than the vets though :D

mmm much cheaper than vets but if it was available to buy over the counter id gladly pay twice that as its saved my bif..shes had gi probs so long now thru stress since oscar died......
mums bun got spayed and went downhill i gave her metacopramide and she pooed and started eating the next day.

my first bun when she was spayed and when she had dentals they used to send me home with a little clear tub of bunny recovery stuff..metacam...and prepulsid as the norm..guess its why she got thru gi stasis so much......

that practice is still there but the vet has long gone.

guess ill just have to go screaming for nearly twenty quids worth of taxi fare each way to the main branch/hospital next time and get the syrup that way altho before they gave me pills to grind as the shipment was delayed and bif had ground pills twice!

£6.75 for 200ml is a hell of a lot less than what i pay!:shock:

£8.70somthing for 100ml at my local vets.:?

I might be wrong but I thought maxolon has a really short shelf life once the bottle has been opened?? Can anyone who has a whole bottle read it and find out, it's one of those things vaguely in the back of my mind so I'd be curious to find out if it's really the case.

Well I'll be able to tell you the price later later if I get chance I will pick up my prescription later. :D

Alison I wil let you know the shelf life once I've got it :thumb:

I got a bottle, it's cost me the all of £5.90, didn't know how I afforded it to be honest :shock::lol::lol: I've got 250ml, hmmmm can't see me getting through that before that date is up oct 2009 and there is nothing on the bottle it should be discarded within x amount of weeks so is it ok to the use by date?

I use Metachloprmide syrup at work and there is no use within ... weeks of opening for it. It is use by best before date. The use by date is usually about 18 months after we get it supplied.

Thank's Janice, I would hate to give any of the buns something that wasn't good for them, it probably wont get used but is nice to know it's here. :D

Last edited:
Back