• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

average lifespan

touie

Wise Old Thumper
what is the average lifespan of a rabbit as I don't think I have had one live to be more than 5 years old? :cry:

1st bunny fluffy was about 5 when she got flystrike while I was away, treacle was under 2 and had kidney failure and pneumonia I think, Niamh around 5 unknown cause, Amy only 1 year old during a spay, Toffee around 4 years old unknown cause, and now Fudge 4 years old bone infection :cry: I'm not sure I can cope with much more death! :cry:

:cry: Aww touie I know how you feel. When Fluffy died on my birthday year before last he had just turned 7yrs old. It broke my heart and it was last Dec before I found the courage to take in another bunny. Fluffy had 3 partners, his brother we lost age 18 months, Santolina 5 and Black Betty 6.
Now Matilda gives us all so much love and makes us smile that I have forgotten the side times. We are hoping to reward her with a special friend of her own - fingers crossed she bonds with him.
I know I will have to face it all again someday but for now I have accepted its the price I will have to pay for the joy she brings us. :)
In answer to your question? My vet had Nethies on their books that were 10 yrs old. It may depend on breed.

I had a Netherland Dwarf who lived till 10.5 years

I hope my bunnies live longer than 5 years.

Smaller bunnies are supposed to live 10-12 years. Thats without taking into account the illnesses caused by inbreeding though, and of course the luck factor.

Giants only live to about 5-6 usually, with the same rules applying.

My Sooty is 7 :D

My previous rabbits:- Tammy about 3, Clover about 7 (childhood rabbits), Daisy about 3 killed by a fox :( and Thumper age unknown and reason of death unknown (had her from a rescue) and Simba was 3 :cry:

Last edited:
I think my George died at about 8.
I thought that was quite good as all my friend's were getting eaten by foxes and dieing at like 2 years.
I would think 6-9 is the average span?

:( hun if its any consolation me too:(

kibbles was just over 18 months old and the vet said kinder to have her pts cos of so many dentals eye and ear infections.

woozle was 16 months old fitting gasping for breath and panicking with paralysed back legs...died in our loiunge after th epdsa sent him home with a painkilelr jab and said he was fine:evil:

beloved oscar was ours from aged 8 months until he died ffrom stress overload after losing his kitty family and my dad and us with so much grief....he died aged 24 months old..and bif nealry died too of same thing..but she lived..he didnt...shes never gotten over it bless her.

we got bif from a rescue for oscar..5 days after my dads funeral...in 2006..march 27th. oscar died in august..5 days before 1st sept.
thats when we adopted bertie the rew frenchie who was bifs protector.....the vet advised us that if anything hapened to bertie bif wouldnt survive this time..shes got the bunny version of post traumatic stress syndrome..i kid ye not. so we got willow a baby frenchie aged 12 weeks.....and we had terrible probs bonding as bif attacked her non stop once she had to be spayed......so we then adopted bandit from southampton rescue aged 18 months...and we eventually bonded them over crimbo only for them to have bif fall out with willow new years eve..poor willow was stunend and upset then after about 4 hrs of bif attacking her she retaliated and the bond was broken. bif was illwith stasis etc and had to be kept seperate..bandit then got a wee problem..so he had to live apart...and then him and bif played togehtereach night till suddenly when she went for a dental they bonded and haven been apart since!

so i worry..whos next..will it be bertie cos hes an old boy really in frenchie terms...or will it be bif with her gi probs and stress..or bandit with his stresss issues...or will willow finally eat something shes not meant to and actually die form it..or will bertie get another abscess and this time ittl get to the bone....

im paranoid but ive had a feeling fvor a while now that berties going to die....

bif is the longest time ive had a bunny for..2yrs and 3 months and shes now..45 months old..thats three years and nine months old.....the longest ive ever had a rabbit and the oldest ive ever had..shes survived so much problems including nealry being put down for cancer she never even had:evil:

then comes bertie...hes 39 months old,...3 years and 3 months old and weve had him 21 months..one year and nine months...

and im terrifed im going to lose them soon..epsecially bertie..

i feel like pets who live with me get a death sentence..last year i discovered my cat whos two this august has a heart murmur...:(

maybe were cursed..buns not making it to 5 or living with us for 5 years...

then someone like my half sister and her rabbits over the years have all been misfed not done not vacinated.cramped into piggie hutches...and lived for years and years...

does that mean her buns were lucky...id say not.....

at least the time spent with us is a loving time and even in illness they have love care and compassion....they were meant to be ours or with someone like my half sis etc they wouldnt have survived maybe 3 months there.

weve learnt things from each bun..each medical prob..the way they lived and died..and so have you......so the next buns we have we have a little knowledge in case.....

dont beat yourself up teresa...theres no point.....its just what happens:(

My oldest were two brothers aged 14. The one left pined for the other despite me getting him a girlfriend. Very sad :cry:

I have had lots of rabbits in the past, most got to 6 or 7.

My current eldest,Monty is 6;).

my first and only ever bunnies have both reached 1 (now thats pretty amazing with my pet luck)

hoping for at least another 10 years together. but im prepared each day for the worst after finding out how delicate they are.

I think it is supposed to be 5 -8 years.I have a dutch female Rosie who is 10,her friend lily was 6 when she passed away,my childhood bunnies lived until they were 3 and 4 :cry:

Back