• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scradgey

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
Bromwell & Dismal Wildlife Rescue is nursing back to health a baby baby blackbird.

He's called Scradgey and is very vocal. I'm feeding him on catfood and will upload pics later... i just need to feed him now... will update afterwards!

CheapCheap from Scradgey!

i hope little scradgey is back to good health soon.:love:

my o/h and i hand-reared a baby jackdaw last year and he still visits every day for his breakfast -:love:

we also had a call last weekend about a crow that was found with a broken wing and we are now nursing him back to full health (hopefully!) - he will be released in about a month if his wing heals ok. x

look forward to piccies of your little one. x

Hi :) How old is he? As well as cat food you might do well to try it on small bits of fruit like cherries or sultanas, as they like them. Also in pet shops they sell the shredded suet food with fruit and insects in it, and this will help the bird to get the extra vitamins it needs in order to develop healthy bones and feathers. :)

You know where I am if you get stuck. :)

Good luck little birdy!

I sure do Siona ;)
He's improving alot and is in 10 times better shape than when i found him in that road :(
Will take piccies at his next feed!! ( 10mins ) I don't want to disturb him too much, although he does like my company ;)
Thanks for advise :)
I rang up a registered charity and they gave me the go ahead and said he sounds like a blackbird.. but he looks more like a bald eagle :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol

Yeah definitely post pics. Be aware that they become really tame though. The one I raised last year took 5 days to leave the house. Every time I opened the door it would fly back in, especially when it was raining! :lol: She didn't like getting wet because she hadn't learnt to groom herself properly.

One day when a magpie flew into the garden she got scared and nearly killed herself flying into the door in a panic. :shock: She sat on my bookcase for hours peeping out from behind the ornaments. :lol::lol:

Yeah i'm sure he will... but i don't mind :) I might put up a bird table for him :)
Right i'm off to feed yet again and take some piccies :D

Pictures of Scradgey

Scradgey005.jpg

Scradgey004.jpg

Scradgey002.jpg

Scradgey001.jpg

Scradgey :)
You can see how young he is.
I think he's a blackbird, but if anyone has any other ideas?

He might be. How long have you had him now? Is he taking food willingly? Do you have the time to raise him? It will be every 10-20 mins for about the next 10 days at least. With mine I take them out with me (but thats ok cos Im the crazy wildlife lady! :lol:)

If you want I can get him through the hard stage then you can fledge and release?

Yes, i've just finished my GCSE's and i can take him down to my stables no probs.
We're going on holiday to Liverpool and i'm taking a stash of cat food with me :)
Yes, i'm feeding him loooooaaaaaddddddssss but i have to pad his beak and then keep it open with my pinky and pop a small chunk in.
I've had him since lunch time yesterday and he's pooing.
He looks so cute when he swallows :p

Ok, that sounds great so far. Rather than the big box he's in, a bowl or small box with hay hollowed into a small nest shape and lined with tissue would be better. It'll keep him warmer and make him feel safe. Also a tiny teddy will help him feel safe too. They like to feel quite squished in thier nest because thats what they are used to. Keep it inside the big box though. :)

He should imprint on you and start to ask for food when he hears you coming, try making a consistent noise so he recognises it (it doesn't really matter what)

Also dip the catfood in water to make sure he gets enough moisture. As he gets a bit bigger, maggots from a bait shop are brilliant food too. They are wiggly and make him want to take them from you, but not yet as they might eat their way out of him :shock:(unless you chop off their heads)
Keep them in the fridge though or they'll pupate!!

- also, you should know when he's full because you'll see his crop fill up. It's the little sac on the side of his neck, you can see through it sometimes :shock:

He should naturally go to sleep at about 10pm, and wake up about 5/6am - but so long as he's covered up he should just stay quiet.

Sorry to deluge you with info, its just to give you the best chance :)
Is your mum ok with him?

Thanks for all the info!
Yeah that little nest i made was made so quickly and he is in a little shoebox now :D
I've started to call his name but i will do a noise now :)
He is a little cutie and i giving him water through a straw as well.
I will give him maggots in the future minus the heads!! I would hate for them to break through him :shock:
The only thing i would say is that his head sort of twists to one side.. but i was thinking is that normal because i'm not supporting it ( like a baby's head)

Bless poor little thing. It is very difficult when they are young we hand raised a small collared dove didn't really have much experience back then and gave it worms and soaked berries and soaked bread. Unfortunately she didn't want to be released so we had her for 14 years she flew off whereever she wanted but kept coming back.

Yup sounds about right. Hes very young. Dont worry about water too much yet, he wouldn't get any from the parent birds.
Also, where possible try and leave him in the nest and feed him in there so he stays warm as he can't really make his own body heat yet.
If you are taking him out you could put him in a polystyrene cup lined with tissue and pop him down your top so your body heat keeps him warm and safe - although you might get funny looks when you take out the cup and start feeding him! :lol:

Sorry took dog for a walk.
I'm giving him a tiny drop of water each time as that's what the local rescue advised.
I'm so excited! He's doing so well, i just can't wait for him to grow up :)
Greedy boy was just fed again and he's dramatically improving!!

Update.
Bad news guys.
I woke up at 6 to feed him and he looked like a was asleep so i prodded him and realised he was cold and stiff.
I had such hopes for this little guy. He still had last night's feed in his throat so i think he gave up a little after that.
Fly free at the bridge Scradge.
:cry: My brother called me pathetic for crying, but i couldn't help it :cry:

Last edited:
Back