• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blindess <<Please Help>>

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I think Mona is blind :(:(. How the bloody vet missed this I don't know. I was giving out carrots this evening and she wasn't aware of the carrots I was holding beside her head. I tested her by moving my hand in front of both eyes. She did not blink or respond to my shining an opthalmoscope light in her eye. Also when I shone the light, her eye shone red but was very ragged around the iris and opaque. I also shone a small dim light into her eyes and again they looked opaque with no reaction to light. I cannot make out the pupils either.

Behaviour wise she seems fine. She zoomed out of her cat flap when she heard me, is eating and pooing fine and to top it all, humped her husbun :shock:

Can anyone tell me from the information I have given if I am right in my assumption and what to do next. I don't know if I should have the vet confirm it or deal with alone.

maybe she was just sleeping??? just for your on piece of mind hun you could get a vet to check. least then youd know one way or another, wont make any difference to her life really if shes always been blind.

I'd get a vet to check it out to try to find out the cause...:) ec related, damaged retina, glaucoma (sp?), cataracts etc. and whether it's part of a degenerative condition - some forms of blindness may lead to the eyes needing to be removed if the drainage isn't working properly...

Back