• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

uh oh Rocky ate my plants :(

uniqueanneek

Alpha Buck
Rocky is quite subdued tonight, not overly interested in food or very active. I'm now worried because yesterday he snuck into my bedroom where he's not normally allowed to go unsupervised. He jumped onto the window sill and ate one of my plants - an orchid.

The other plant is big and looks as though he's ripped a few leaves off.
I searched on google and orchids don't seem to be toxic to bunnies, but i don't know what the other plant is. Any ideas?

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

He's drinking a fair bit, but just keeps flopping out. Been very quiet all day.:? :cry:

Last edited:
I'm not to sure what the plant is although it is definately not on the omg better start planning your funeral list which includes the swiss cheese plant. It looks a bit like a pink spider plant whch is non toxic but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

OK, thanks - that's good! I'm trying to call my mum as it was her who bought me the plant a couple of years ago and so maybe she'll know what it is. Hopefully it's just giving him nothing more serious than a little tummy ache. I'm pleased he's eating and drinking, albeit not very much. :?

That looks like a variegated tradescantia. Not sure about it's suitability or otherwise, but hopefully someone in the know will be along shortly.

That looks like a variegated tradescantia. Not sure about it's suitability or otherwise, but hopefully someone in the know will be along shortly.

Yeah I just spoke to my mum and she says she thought that's what it was, and it matches the pictures after i searched for it on google. It is on some toxic lists and not on others :shock:

He seems to have perked up a bit, is actually sitting up rather than just being flopped out. Drank quite a lot too. Think it maybe gave him a tummy ache :(

Last edited:
Rocky is still a bit subdued today. He's a bit perkier than he was yesterday (ie choosing to move around) but still not overly interested in me like he usually is.

His pellets from last night were still in his bowl this morning, but he had drank loads. He has been eating bits of fruit that i'm tempting him with, and has done a pile on minute poops.

I have phoned the vet for advice, just waiting for them to call back...

EDIT: They have said that as long as he's pooing and eating something he should be ok, they don't think the plant should have caused anything serious, but they have asked me to take him in tomorrow if he hasn't improved at all or I noticed anything adverse.

She also mentioned something about over-drinking. Is this an issue? I've never heard anything about that before.

EDIT: I wonder if this is related to his apparent UTI he was treated for two weeks ago and the plant was just coincidental? I just feel like there is always something underlying with him atm :(

Last edited:
if he was over drinking it would be a sign of liver/kidney damage casue by the plant...although difficult to tell if he had had a UTI.....EC can also cause over drinking...

Back