• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

green carrot top/leaves

bits+bobs

New Kit
Hiya, I bought a bunch of carrots with the green bits (10p!) but my Mum has just told me that they are poisonous for humans and animals.

Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? :?

No they are not! Rabbits love them.
When I have a poorly bun that won't eat these are often the only thing that will tempt them back to eating.

i bought a huge bunch the other day and they loovvveee them ..they nibble their way through the tops them start on the carrot!:lol:

My rabbits and guinea pigs love them too, think its only onions and potatoes that you should avoid, oh and lettuce i've been told can make bunnies very poorly!!!

be careful as i only found out on here that carrot tops are very very high in calcium and that can lead to bladder sludge/stones/crystals......:shock:

Sorry for sounding stupid :oops: but are carrot tops the green leave things on the carrots, cause I can't find any where I live, only Tescos, etc and all the green is chopped off.
Someone at my work told me you could grow your own carrot tops by putting the end in some water and leaving a few days (not tried this), would this work and would this be ok for bunnies :oops:

Back