• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about EC

charlie82

Mama Doe
Hi,

My friends rabbit was pts last Friday after what I suspected to be symptoms of EC. She has left behind a buck who is now living on his own. Despite telling my friend she should be treating him with panacur as a precaution she isn't...

She is due to go on holiday on Sat and originally I was supposed to be looking after the bunnies. They would have to have stayed in a cage in my summerhouse where three of my own bunnies live, one of which has been unwell lately.

When I found out her bun was poorly I arranged for my own parents to look after her rabbits as I didn't want to expose my bunnies to anything and asked her to bring the hutch over. She says that she can't fit the hutch in her car so will have to ask her mother and law to come and feed her rabbit each day.
THing is she is going away for two weeks and says the rabbit won't be able to get out at all during this time because her mother-in-law will only be able to go over once a day :cry:

If I bring the bunny here what are the chances of him passing something to mine and should I just not take the risk? I just can't stand the idea of him being stuck in a 4ft hutch for two weeks :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure what the risk is but did think you would be able to panacur her bunny if you do look after him :D

I was going to send her some panacur, but I don't think she would do it. I seemed to have to be spurring her on to do anything at all really :?

EC is transmitted through urine & saliva and is a nasty little :censored: to kill. Pretty much only a 10% bleech solution soak for 10 minutes will knock it on the head. It can remain active for 3 months outside the bunny. I would risk it if you were keeping the buns in very separate places but not if there is a chance that you bunnys could go where the others had been. Saying that I think 50% of rabbits are supposed to have EC but only a small proportion have syptoms. You could perhaps send her a tube in the post & ask her to worm for 9 days before he comes to you & treat him and your bunnys for 14 days whilst he's there.

There shouldn't be any problems bringing him to yours as long as you keep him in a separate area to your buns.

Chances are that at least one of yours will have EC anyway.

In theory I suspect dogs can catch EC (same with humans), but I very much doubt that a normal healthy dog will contract it.

Amy

Thanks everyone...

I normally would have had somewhere seperate to keep him as our garden is quite large, but we are in the process of moving house so I no longer have my foster hutches here or my playhouse as that is sitting dismantled. :roll:

The only place I could keep him is in a 6ft cage inside my summerhouse on a table. Problem being is that three of my own bunnies are in there, one of which has a lower immune system so I'm not sure if it's a wise idea. Although the may all be carriers of E.C I'm not sure I want to expose them further..but then I worry about my friends bunny!!!!!

It's so frustrating, he could go to my mum's house and have a lovely big garden all to himself but my friend won't take his hutch over. I'm actually shocked that she thinks it's ok to leave him in a hutch for two weeks :shock: I also suggested that she perhaps kept him in a bunny proof room in the house and that way he is safe and has plenty of room but I think she doesn't like them in the house. :(

Provided you have scrupulous quarantine procedures in place your bunnies should be fine....there is a theory that EC *may* be transmitted via the air but no firm evidence or research so your main concern will be feaces and urine.

I'm quite sure I have read an article that said EC can be transmitted to dogs but that it wouldn't do any harm if so. I'm afraid I cannot remember where I read this to provide a link, may have been on here.

Back