• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites

twinks22

Warren Scout
:wave: Hi everyone, my poor rabbit has got mites, none of my others have just the one. I bought some hay from a shop that I don't usually go to, so not sure whether they have got it from the hay. She is a mum and has got 3 babies, but I've had to take the babies away from her so that she can have the treatment, this is what the vet adviced me to do. The problem being is the three babies have got mites also, but because they are to small they can't be treated at the moment. The one of the babies has bleed a little bit where the mites are:(. I thought of putting some savlon or sudocrem on it because it looks sore, can anyone advise me on whether this is the right thing to do, or shall I just leave it until they are old enough or big enough to be treated. Look forward to someone replying. Many Thanks.

oh poor wee things......id ask the vets advice personally...unless some savvy person here can help...come on guys...i can see you ya know!:wave:

id have thought if you put something on them it would upset mumand babies?
should they really be split from mum? i know before the new flea treatments etc that we had to wait to treat our old cat until her kittens were weaned...

oh my we need someone to clarify things...im sorry im no help but im sure some of the more savvy peeps on here will be able to help.

I'd say to leave the babies with mum. At 3 weeks they are too young to be removed.
Sooz has posted on the other thread that you started - there is some good advice on there, and personally I'd go to see a vet that knows more about rabbits, because a lot of them don't know any more than the basics.

I wouldn't put anything on the babies yet incase the mother rejects them because of the funny smell. It won't be long before they can be treated too.

Back