• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Infection

lisalouuk

Young Bun
My rabbit Fraggle has got an eye infection white puss like residue coming out of his eye.

The vet took a swab and sent it off for tests and it came back what antibiotics he could use so he put him on Bayril 0.5ml twice a day and also some Fucithalmic eye drops.

However, this hasnt helped much and he has had to have his eye flushed out under anathestic. Now he has put bunny on weekly injection of Depocillin and changed the eye drops to Tiacil and I have got to go back in a weeks time to see the vet again.

He says this eye problem is common in rabbits but I forgot what he said it is. Has anyone had any similar experiences with eyes in rabbits and if so what was the outcome in the end.

Any advice would be much appreciated

hiya:wave:.

cant really help much but i hope the little one is ok.

our molly had an infection in her tear duct (i think it was that) she was put on tiacil up to 4 times daily. but while she was there (at the vets) they flushed her eye without any anastetic only took a few mins. a load of ''gunk'' came out of her nose (the vets said that might happen). the tiacil worked really well for her.
x

I found Tiacil more effective than Fucithalmic, but I suppose it depends on which condition is being treated.

Since the Vet prescribed Tiacil his eye is beginning to look much much better and he also gave him an injection of Depocillin so am wondering if thats got anything to do with it too, as the baytril didnt seem to do anything.

I too would have expected them to flush the duct - the last rabbit I had with this problem had his ducts flushed, an initial course of 5days of Baytril with another flush and a two week course following and Tiacil drops throughout.

My rabbit Flump has had eye problems for about a year now - she has had an duct flush - this lasted a week and the ducts were full again! She's had Baytril, Tiacil and Fucithalmic. These then caused her to get bunged up so she then had to have something which I can' remeber the name but it was something like senekot to get her goin again! She also had to have a injection of a gut stimulate. And the end of this my poor little baby still has constant runny eyes - which the vet told us to expect. The only thing that helps is her Husbun Jack who cleans her eyes regularly. Aww Bless!

I hope you have better look than we did!

Back